why does it do this? ( oil pressure ?)

GaPchNCrm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed yesterday that my truck drops its oil pressure when I come to a stop or slow down for one-- but it only does it when I push the clutch in and the breaks at the same time. The oil pressure bottoms out. As soon as I let off the clutch it resumed to normal. This is the stock gauge. I checked the oil, its fine, I even had BJ double check it for me to make sure. He said he wasn't real sure why it would do that... any thoughts?

budtoh3zo

Reaction score
throw a real gage on it. It will save u from the nightmares. The factory gage is a idot light with a needle. All it tell u if u have 7 pounds of pressure. Then u can give us some numbers to help trouble shoot

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tanya, the only thing I can think of is there is something either flexing or wiggling under the dash or on the firewall, which is affecting the oil presure sender. Pull the wire off the sender and put the positive probe of a volt meter on the connector, and then touch the negative lead to ground. You should get 12 volts. Have somebody push in the clutch and see if the 12 volts goes away. If it does, start following the wire.

waynebo

Reaction score
Your sending unit is bad.When i bought my truck after it warmed up and you were runnig at highway speeds the gauge would drop to near 0,pull up to a light and it would climb back up in the normal range.What had happen is that at normal cruise rpm and oil pressure is that inside the sending unit is a pressure bulb that moves a pointer which contact a spirally wound wire.The resistance decreases as the bulb pushes the pointer up the wound wire,it has less wire to go through,i.e lower resistance,but it stays in that cruise pressure area more than any and it will arc and glaze that are and show higher resistance,and the gauge will drop,apearing as if your losing oil pressure when it should be increasing oil pressure,so change the sending unit,or go to a mechanical gauge,waynebo

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
GaPchNCrm said:
I noticed yesterday that my truck drops its oil pressure when I come to a stop or slow down for one-- but it only does it when I push the clutch in and the breaks at the same time. The oil pressure bottoms out. As soon as I let off the clutch it resumed to normal. This is the stock gauge. I checked the oil, its fine, I even had BJ double check it for me to make sure. He said he wasn't real sure why it would do that... any thoughts?

Kinda slow on this but had this with The E once... Change the oil filter it's clogged. When the stock filter - yes even the PSD filter gets clogged to a certain point it goes into a bypass mode meaning that no oil is getting filtered and the bypass valve in the oil cooler head is cracking open... Been there done that... Did it on the trip home from Florida last year. Happened just as we entered Atlanta in the middle of the night. Pulled off in Kimball Tenn at Walmart and stayed in their parking lot then rolled her around in the morning to the oil change dept for a quick oil change. Fixed her right up... Don't know if that is your problem but what you describe sounds just like The E a year ago.

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
Nothing can replace a good old mechanical gauge those factory stock gauges are crapola. When was the last time the truck seen a oil and filter change and what brand and weight of oil are you using ?

It sounds like you are getting some flex in the dashboard and firewall so check for cracks or loose bolts.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online