Whoa Henry, whoa!

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
i found everything i needed for the hydroboost swap in the junk yard. cost me 50 bucks for the hydro unit and all lines. did grab the pump, but found a reman pump was only 50 bucks also.

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
i found everything i needed for the hydroboost swap in the junk yard. cost me 50 bucks for the hydro unit and all lines. did grab the pump, but found a reman pump was only 50 bucks also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seawalkersee
Ifn you need it, I got one here at the house I will send to ya for shipping. It still spins and was working when it got pulled a year ago(?), two years ago(?) when I switched to the serp setup.

SWS

SeaWalker- I really appreciate the offer... The brotherhood is alive and well, but Icanfixall has pretty much got me browbeat into buying new OEM and I'm finding it difficult to shake off the effects of this culture of safety I've been immersed in at the railroad for the last 14 years.. Thank you though...

Corey-
No insult intended bud, but junkyard parts are always going to be a last resort for me, based on either dire financial circumstances or lack of availability from traditional sources.. See above.

Dieselcrawler

Staff member
Reaction score
i found mine, looked brand new. like it was just replaced. no dirt on it at all. same with the hoses. the rest of the truck was filthy.

hell, my truck was built from the junkyard and lowes.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
LOL - Hoss, I got news for you.. You're not. You're trusting your brakes to something as fickle as a belt- just like everybody here except the folks that are running electric vacuum pumps.:eek:

Fair enough ;) one more reason to look at engines with gear-drive accessories LOL

Seriously though, intermittent vacuum brakes suck. And that seems to be the characteristic whether its a failing pump or booster. I know the status of my power steering as soon as I touch the steering wheel, so there's some immediate feedback. Stops faster too ;)

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I grabbed a hydro setup off a gm and it had a pump witha single line setup with the lines setup in series running through the brakes then the steering then back to the pump

Dieselcrawler

Staff member
Reaction score
yea it is for the crawler, but my brakes are just as important on that then on the daily driver. plus my DD is the dmax, so it has hydroboost from the factory. lol

gatorman21218

Reaction score
vacuum brakes-1000 lbs of braking force.
power steering brakes- 2000 lbs of force.

My numbers arn't exact but the point is hydroboost is about twice as powerful as vacuum assisted brakes. Ive also pulled the belt off of my vacuum pump. just plain dont need it anymore since my a/c is broke, no cruise and no slush box.

The point is instead of spending money on new vacuum parts, why not go ahead and convert to hydro boost. This was my reasoning when I would start the truck up in the morning with no vacuum. Instead of hunting down the leak, I went hydro. sounds better too with that hydraulic whine.

towtruckdave

Resident Nutcase
Reaction score
Hey Billy,
No, at the moment I can't tell because there's so much shiny oiliness under there that you can't tell anything. The weather is supposed to warm up this weekend so I'm going to put some simple green in the pressure washer and blast it all clean, dry it all off, start it up and lay under there and watch to see what drips in my face from where..:rolleyes:

:rotflmao

Man, aint that the truth!

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
vacuum brakes-1000 lbs of braking force.
power steering brakes- 2000 lbs of force.

My numbers arn't exact but the point is hydroboost is about twice as powerful as vacuum assisted brakes. Ive also pulled the belt off of my vacuum pump. just plain dont need it anymore since my a/c is broke, no cruise and no slush box.

The point is instead of spending money on new vacuum parts, why not go ahead and convert to hydro boost. This was my reasoning when I would start the truck up in the morning with no vacuum. Instead of hunting down the leak, I went hydro. sounds better too with that hydraulic whine.

Hey JB,
Well, it's like this... My A/C will freeze your ass right outa the cab, my cruise works great even without the spare can o' vacuum and I can lock up all six wheels with medium/high toe pressure... Besides, I ordered a brand new OEM Motorcraft vac pump and booster this afternoon before leaving work. Should be here Monday or Tuesday.;Sweet