Who knows?

IDIeselman

Reaction score
How to shim the oil pressure relief valve for more pressure? And if it will even do any good? I know 20 lbs at idle and 45 at speed is plenty but I want more. On cold start high idle gauge shows 50 lbs but once warmed up and idling drops to 20, I have to wonder if I am even reaching the relief valve?

82fordtruck

Reaction score
Tim,

I doubt that's in the relief valve. 20 isn't too bad, I'm not sure what the problem is. Remember, the factory setting for the guage is 7 psi, so presumably anything over 7 is OK.

Have you got your seal problem fixed yet?

Last edited:

IDIeselman

Reaction score
Nope not yet, been putting that off, was just thinking if I am going to be under there and covered in oil might just as well reseal the oilcooler while I'm at it and maybe bump up my oil pressure. As far as the pressure goes I have heard that 1 pound of pressure for every 1000 rpm's is enough but I'm not to sure on that one.

82fordtruck

Reaction score
I would think that you would need more than 1 lb of pressure per 1000 rpm's. 10x that sounds more normal. You do have a fairly new engine in there, not just a pretty one, right?

My real answer is that I don't know, but it sounds like you are making a mountian out of a molehill. I like you - usually I'm the one being told that phrase.

IDIeselman

Reaction score
Yeah I don't believe the 1/1000 either but who knows. I know I have plenty of oil pressure I just want more, I'll order some plastigauge to check things for myself, maybe they are wore out after 3 months of running. Now to move this mountain LOL

82fordtruck

Reaction score
Maybe I'm missing something. Has your pressure been dropping since you put the engine in? If not, I see no reason to do the plastiguage.

What were your clearances initially? I would expect that the clearances would be more than in a gasser due to the size of the bearings and the load. The higher the shock loading, the higher the clearance. It's not a bad thing. We run $5,000.00 hammermill bearings brand new with about .012 internal clearance sometimes. These have almost no oil pressure, it is just pumped into the top of the housing and gravity fed through the bearing and back to the pump. These bearings will last for thousands of hours like this.

Hope you're having luck with that mountian. Your old truck could probably do it, but since you don't have a turbo, keep an eye on your EGT's. i don't know how to do the smilie winking, but if I did, I would insert it right here.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
What about a high volume oil pump instead. Do they make em for our engines?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think anyone's found a high-volume oil pump for our engines yet...wich is too bad; I know I would love to have one.

I'm at 10 psi at hot idle, and 35 to 40 on the freeway...that's with a mechanical tube coming off of the stock oil sender location.

Tim (nice name, BTW ;) ), where are you getting your oil pressure reading from? Is it going into the stock location, or into the pipe plug down by the oil filter? I sort of gathre that the location near the oil filter will give higher readings, but haven't ever tested it...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If you reseal the oil cooler just replace the rear header. I tried to replace the spring in my spare cooler header but couldn't find the correct spring. When and if you try to do the same as I did you will find the spring has worn flat on one side which reduces the spring pressure causing a lower line pressure. This spring has several parts with it. The reason it wears out I think is because it is always moving because the crank is always turning cutting off the flow and restarting the flow to the bearings. This happens very fast so the pressure fluxation isn't seen in the gage. The pressure regulator is peened into the aluminum rear header but it can be removed. You will see what I mean when your into it. Ford sells the rear header for about $160.00 but no kit is offered. The psd rear header pressure regulator is held in place with a snap ring.

IDIeselman

Reaction score
82, No drop in pressure I just want more, I don't know what the clearances were but I do know if they are a little out of spec on the loose end most machine shops push them through, I'm thinking about a set of .002 bearings to tighten it up, and put it back on the tight end.

Warden, I have a wet gauge plumed to the stock location,I will test the theory at the oil cooler location and let you know before I tear into this thing.

Fixall, Thanks for the info, I have access to a few old coolers so I will keep this in mind. If my bearings spec out good, I will be playing with this valve and springs untill I am happy with the results.I know it can be done it's just a matter of how bad somebody wants to do it.

beretzs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would think the oil pumps STOCK would be HIGH VOLUME. They move alot of oil and high oil pressure is not what does our engines good, it is the volume they move the oil at, and considering the amount of oil and the size of the engines I bet our pumps on the engine are about perfect for the application. Scotty

obinella

Reaction score
bump the oil press. up and in all likelihood the oil consumption will also go up. also rods,mains and cam bearings need oil clearance to operate properly. be cautious of installing rod or main bearings with to Little clearance,they will starve for oil and fail. ten# psi per 1000rpm is correct.

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
beretzs said:
I would think the oil pumps STOCK would be HIGH VOLUME. They move alot of oil and high oil pressure is not what does our engines good, it is the volume they move the oil at, and considering the amount of oil and the size of the engines I bet our pumps on the engine are about perfect for the application. Scotty

Yep, I remember CDNSARGUY wrote something on this where he said fords are designed to operate with high volume, lower pressure oil pumps, so all this talk about fiddling with it can be a waste of time. Better to replace the stock gage with a real one, so at least you will know what the oil pressure is.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
yes the 10 psi per 1000 RPM is right it sounds good the way it is uping the oil preasure is probably going to cause more headaches and I can't see any reason to do this any way as your oil preasure is not low anyhow the added preasure will put more stress on the pump and drives plus added oil aggitation and increased chance of oil leaks

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online