white smoke no throttle response

buckchaser91

Reaction score
i have a friend with an 2002 dodge cummins 4x4 with the 6 speed manual trans in it with around 65 thousand miles he bought the truck brand new and is bone stock. lately he has been having problems with the throttle response when it dose this the RMPs wont increase you can put the pedal to the floor and nothing happens after a few seconds it will pick up on its own or if he down shifts it will pick up. then the other day he was driving it was (already up to temperature) and he said it filled the hole road up with white smoke and had no power. i know many of you will say about a fuel pressure gauge but he dose not have one. so with this description anyone have any idea's as to what may be wrong.

redneck pride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would definitly put a fuel pressure gauge on it and see what thats at, you got have at least five pounds to keep the injection pump from going out, hopfully the injection pump isnt the problem that can be costly

Whit

Reaction score
no throttle respone is yer APPS.....accelerator peddle sensor.......its loosin its brains

re-cal the APPS

turn key on but dont start
slowly push peddle to floor
slowly let peddle back up
turn key off
you are now re-calibrated

if problem continues yer apps is shot
start truck and enjoy

Robert Thompso

Reaction score
WHIT,
Iwas having the same problem that buckchaser91 was having........I came across your response recommending to reset the APPS and it resolved my problem immediately. I can't express my my gratitude enough.........however, I have another problem.....I noticed that at around the same time when I was initially having problems with the APPS that I was noticing a slippage either in the trans or rear.........is there a reset that is associated with this?

Whit

Reaction score
you must have an auto trans????

nothing to reset there if its slippin than ya need to upgrade the valvebody and torque converter

Robert Thompso

Reaction score
Slippn Trans

WHIT,

The trans can't have more thtan 12,000 miles on it.......I just had it redone in 2006 took it cross country............sat for two years.........brought it back to east caost........immediately started having problems..........if valvebody and torque converter IS to be involved what are the steps.....:dunno

Whit

Reaction score
change the oli and filter and see if it shapes up...........if it dont you need to go back to the shop with it

condor74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when you are changing your transfilter and oil...verify that the second gear band is not too loose. If it is make sure you get it back in spec.

Robert Thompso

Reaction score
Buckchaser91, it cost me over $600.00 in diagnostics {readings P026 (Fuel Injection Timing Control) & P0523 (Oil Pressure Sensor....i.e. Lift Pump)}...........I was sweating bullets because the cheapest one I could find ran $1,100.00........fortunately I heard about the additive 9.1.1 (Cost $10.00)......there appears that there is a lot of bad fuel on the market........anyway, my problem was resolved and now the engine runs like a sewing machine.

Robert Thompso

Reaction score
How do I locate the 2nd gear band and how do I adjust it.....as much info as possible would be greatly appreciated (i.e., reference to a diagram etc.) because I'm not very very familiar with working on transmissions. However, give me a diagram and specs' and I can just about do anything...........agaiin, thanks for the heads up because regardless of the lack of mileage on the trans the warranty has expired and I'm on my own.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7