White smoke at idle- Als0 -running hot when towing

jdw7.3

Reaction score
A couple of questions.

When I first start the truck i get white smoke while it idles. After it warms up the smoke isn't noticeble. Is thi sanything to be concerned with??

Also, I have been towing a large boat (6000lbs) and the temp gauge goes up higher than usual. I dont get a warning light but I am worried that i might overheat the motor. In the past vehichles i have owned the factory gauge isn't that accurate so maybe its nothing. Should i be concerned with this???

Thanks for your help!

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Everything sounds normal. As far as the factory gauge, I would get an aftermarket one. I have both gauges working, and the factory one will flop all over the place while my aftermarket gauge is rock solid at 195°.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
jdw7.3 said:
A couple of questions.

When I first start the truck i get white smoke while it idles. After it warms up the smoke isn't noticeble. Is thi sanything to be concerned with??

Also, I have been towing a large boat (6000lbs) and the temp gauge goes up higher than usual. I dont get a warning light but I am worried that i might overheat the motor. In the past vehichles i have owned the factory gauge isn't that accurate so maybe its nothing. Should i be concerned with this???

Thanks for your help!
how hard/easy does it start? sound like a couple of burned out glowplugs....
as long as it clears up, you're good to go.

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At the risk of hijacking this fellow's post, how hard would it be to install a REAL temperature gauge in place of the factory gauge? I'd like to retain a stock appearance if I can.

If not, I guess I'll have to keep saving for my digital dashboard...

Mike

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mikes91 said:
At the risk of hijacking this fellow's post, how hard would it be to install a REAL temperature gauge in place of the factory gauge? I'd like to retain a stock appearance if I can.

Mike
more trouble than its worth. Don't you have an aftermarket gauge pod already?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mikes91 said:

As towcat said, more trouble than it's worth. Phil D. from TDS did this on one of his trucks, and he wound up needing to take the gauge apart in order to mount it. If you have a new gauge, that voids the warranty. In my opinion, it also didn't look all that good...and probably wasn't too durable (he used a glue gun to adhere the gauge into place; I can't imagine the glue holding on rough roads, especially in hot weather!).

This was on an '80-'86 truck, and since I think a '87-'91 truck has a full circuitboard instrument cluster, I imagine it would be even harder...