White/Blue Smoke with oily fuel in exhaust pipe

SlippyRider

Reaction score
Mechanical lift pump failure is contaminating engine oil with diesel fuel.
Thinned oil is getting into the combustion cylinders, it isn't atomized and so isn't burning, and the excess is getting tossed around and working its way out the exhaust valves and ultimately the tail pipe.

Just a guess. I could be wrong, but if I'm not, it's an engine destroying problem with a cheap and simple fix (new lift pump)

notenuftime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mechanical lift pump failure is contaminating engine oil with diesel fuel.
Thinned oil is getting into the combustion cylinders, it isn't atomized and so isn't burning, and the excess is getting tossed around and working its way out the exhaust valves and ultimately the tail pipe.

Just a guess. I could be wrong, but if I'm not, it's an engine destroying problem with a cheap and simple fix (new lift pump)
I replaced my mechanical lift pump this spring, truck runs fine and I've always got soot coming out the tailpipe on a cold start.

SlippyRider

Reaction score
I replaced my mechanical lift pump this spring, truck runs fine and I've always got soot coming out the tailpipe on a cold start.

Lots of white/blue smoke, all the time it's running? Enough thin, oily fuel type liquid in the tail pipe to soak a rag? Crank case oil seem thin? No? Sounds like the original poster is speaking of more than soot.

notenuftime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lots of white/blue smoke, all the time it's running? Enough thin, oily fuel type liquid in the tail pipe to soak a rag? Crank case oil seem thin? No? Sounds like the original poster is speaking of more than soot.
Yes, my truck just shoots some "soot" out when first start. No smoke and no oil consumption or contaminations. Just throwing my experience out there. Here's a pic of the soot after the truck sat for 3 days in the cold.
You must be registered for see images attach

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you change the lift pump yet? How about the history on the last oil change? I think the biggest clue was stated in your original post:

“The oil is high in it and seems a little thin to me which makes me thing in might have fuel contamination but its not smelling like it.“

If it was me, I’d do an oil change and swap the lift pump as both a relatively easy/inexpensive.

Last question: where did your injectors come from?

Last edited:

RoadKing83

Reaction score
I just bought the truck and have no idea of brand of injectors or glow plugs.

I think I’ll pull all the injectors and get them bump tested and also check the glow plug brand. I’ll have to order a new brass washer set to reinstall the injectors if they are good I’m assuming.

Joseph Davis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When the smoke comes out does it make a blue color because it could be bad head Gasket. Smoke will not dissipate on clod cold days meaning you will see it in the rear view mirror. I redid my heads and gaskets, and installed new injection pump, injectors, and motor craft glow plugs and got rid of the long lingering smoke clouds. The bad head gasket don't seam to effect them a idle, but makes a mess of thing off idle. black oily droops out of rear tail pipe. No signs or back pressure in radiator but makes a mess when standing on the pedal with a lots of smoke! piles of black soot with oil on ground under pipe after long idle periods; while trying to figure out where the smoke is coming from. That fixed my problem. The head gaskets were bad on both side with no loss in compression at idle but loss in compression with weird colors in smoke in mirrors when standing on pedal going up hill. No problems now got answer off of Oil Burners from other members.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online