Whine!!!

ripsaw

Reaction score
Does anyone else have an annoying whine come from there PSD? My truck has one that I can't seem to figure out.

It sounds like a bad PS pump but I know it's not that. I've taken the belt off and ran the truck and the whine is still there. I am 99.9% sure the noise is coming from the LPOP. I have replaced the gears once before and it seemed to help for a little while. Now it's back. When I replaced the gears I didn't replace the cover. Does anyone think that replacing the cover will help this?

I noticed the old set of gears had ridges on the teeth and figured that may have been what caused the noise.

Anyone got any ideas?? It's so annoying I've thought of selling the damn truck because of it. I don't hear the noise on others I've listened to.

RenoF250

Reaction score
They have gear driven cams, perhaps you are hearing those gears. Mine does not whine that I can hear though and I have pretty good hearing.

ripsaw

Reaction score
Well the way I tracked down where the noise was coming from was using a long screwdriver up to my ear.

I can hear it well in the oil cooler tube through the wheel well and even near the oil filter. When I put the screwdriver on the front cover for the LPOP the noise was real loud.

I also know when I start my truck when it's cold outside the motor is real loud and has a real different sound. Sounds real whiney then too.

I can't figure out what it is but, IT'S DRIVING ME FIRGGIN CRAZY! cookoo

ripsaw

Reaction score
The whine is rpm specific. The fuel pump just goes one speed, correct?

I've taken this problem to the dealer a while back. The idiot "tech" thought I was on crack. I've owned this thng since new and hear things. Trying to get someone else to hear it is a pain. Although he said he heard it after I pointed him to where it was coming from. His great educated diagnosis was they all do that. He said they checked a truck just like mine and it did the same thing. Now, I do think that the Lpop gears should make some noise, I think mine is just excessive to the point of driving me nuts.

SDEric

Reaction score
Power steering box? overfill it and see if it goes away? You could have air in the system, that is the only thing I could think that is RPM related except the water pump is too.

ripsaw

Reaction score
SDEric said:
Power steering box? overfill it and see if it goes away? You could have air in the system, that is the only thing I could think that is RPM related except the water pump is too.

Re-read the first post. I've taken the belt off to all the driven accessories and still have the noise. Thanks for helping think for me though!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online