Which wheels will interchange?

SKimballC

Reaction score
These 16.5's are bumming me out. The tire options are so few and I'd really like something skinnier than these 33x9.75x16.5's will allow. So, I might poke around and see if I can turn up some used 16 inchers, like the factory Alcoas. What else will fit? Sizes/sizing? 8 x 6.5" bolt pattern right, what about backspacing?

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat on rim size but I'm wanting to run 35" tires. Prices are killing me. So I'm going to run 16" also, good luck on finding rims.

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
Shane

Contact Darrin Tosh for a set of Alcoas. He may be able to hook you up at a great price.;Sweet That would be my first choice.

Otherwise, I don't believe these trucks are that tempermental to backspacing. Not like my Chevy anyway. I believe you can pretty much pick any 16 X 8" wheel with 8 on 6.5 bolt pattern and it will work.

I've got a set of stock steelies sitting next to the barn that my wife has been after me to get rid of. I don't know why I'm saving them...but if you're interested. I believe I've even got a full set of stock hubcaps in pretty good shape.

BGF Mud Terrains in 255/85-16 look pretty good on these 16 X 7 wheels.:D

Tom

SKimballC

Reaction score
Tom- Thanks, but nah, I don't think I could go back to the old steelies and hubcaps. I like my wheels- American Racing Outlaw II's. Its just that they're 16.5's.
The tire options are basically Coopers or BFG's in the same size at about the same price, and most tire places have to order them in. It will be a hassle when I need a replacement on the double quick. While they're both good tires, they're just so unnecessarily wide, and these Coopers are loud.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
16.5's are definitely not stock on a 91. But throughout the late 80's and 90's tire manufacturers were still pushing flotation sized 16.5 tires because the tire molds were long since paid for.

You can get stock 16x7 rims for a 92-97 truck or a 92+ van that you can run 235/85R16 or 265/75R16 on (both are the same height). You can go a little wider / taller but those are the most common tire sizes used.

SKimballC

Reaction score
Oh, I know they're not stock. I payed for 'em. They even came with a whole truck. It blew its engine 4 months after I bought it and got parted way out til all I had left were the wheels and the memories.LOL
I suppose as far as nice previously owned wheels go, Alcoas are my best bet. I didn't think about anybody considering that I would or could:eek: go back to the steelies. Sorry guys, I'm a snob.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
I've still got 2 alcoas in new condition if your interested. The centers are for a 2wd. Nothing a holesaw can't fix for front hubs. They were take offs from a 97 conversion van. I never mounted them up because I scored the wheels that were on my truck. The guy that bought the IDI said he wanted them but I've never seen any cake for 'em.

I'll take 75.00/each & you pay shipping. PM me if your interested. I was running 285/70/16's. Look really good and not real wide at that size.

82fordtruck

Reaction score
Shane - I have a set of 16" steel wheels with Michelin XPS Rib tires on it. PM me if you are interested.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think you can beat the factory Alcoa's for the best look...but I'm biased :flipa

Attachments

• towrig4.jpg
    towrig4.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 23

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
I don't think you can beat the factory Alcoa's for the best look...but I'm biased :flipa

I second that. Ford does have some of the nicest factory designs.
I went back to factory wheels on my PSD instead of aftermarket.

Attachments

• P6300004.JPG
    P6300004.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 12
  • P9170003.JPG
    P9170003.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 10
  • P3120015.JPG
    P3120015.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 11

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Roboto is correct- the Dodge wheels share the same lug pattern, but the center bore is slightly smaller. Since the Ford uses acorn-nuts and is lug-centric, you can easily open up the Dodge wheels with a die grinder or the like without worrying too much about wheel balance. A lathe would be the best bet, but isn't required.

Ryan

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
I second that. Ford does have some of the nicest factory designs.
I went back to factory wheels on my PSD instead of aftermarket.

Scott

Just curious. Are the SD alloy wheels made by Alcoa also? I know they're the only ones with the screwy metric bolt pattern.

Tom