Which Flywheel

Twostacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 94 F250 7.3 IDI Turbo with 5 spd that I converted from DMF to SMF. I have about 4k miles on it since the conversion and the starter started to grind against the flywheel teeth on the flywheel, thinking it was a bad starter I replaced it and it did not resolve the grinding issue. I checked the flywheel and found 4 spots that the teeth were worn. I went online to find a replacement and found a few but they list different teeth count.
My question is what teeth count should I be looking for or does it matter, mine has 154 and now I'm wondering if maybe this is why I'm having problems with starters. BTW all components, flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, bearing, and starter were new. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
So you have a ZF trans. You may not know this but you can buy just the gear and install that on your current flywheel. To remove the damaged gear drill a couple of holes in the gear and split it with a chisel or cut it off with a torch or grinder. Now to install the new gear heat it up in the kitchen oven. But do this when the wife is not home. It may stink up the house if any oils are not removed from it first. Heat to 250 degrees or 300 at the most. Use heat gloves when handling it. Make sure the beveled side of the gear faces the starter and drop it on the flywheel. It will seem way too big to stay in place but thats because it grew when heated. It shrinks to fit and wont move after it cools. They are not welded to the wheel like some auto flexplates are. Job done. Cost is about 35 to 45 dollars on ebay.

Twostacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply icanfixall, but which one should I buy as far as tooth count or does it matter. I found some with 155 and 157 mine is 154 and I'm not sure that's the right one.