Which clutch?

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
I was looking at RockAuto's offerings and didn't know if i need the 11" or 12" clutch. Can i run a 12" if i have an 11" now?

6.9L flywheel with a T-19....

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
Nope, different fly wheels. If I were you I'd want to resurface the fly wheel to save the new clutch. Measure it while its out. Most trucks had the 11" btw

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
Wayne, I'm going to get it resurfaced if i can find a shop to do it, but i'm going to replace the clutch cause i only want to do this job once.

Dave, I would have thought a needle bearing would be better than a bushing. How does that work?

firehawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wayne, I'm going to get it resurfaced if i can find a shop to do it, but i'm going to replace the clutch cause i only want to do this job once.

Dave, I would have thought a needle bearing would be better than a bushing. How does that work?

The bushing is stronger. A needle bearing can be damaged during installation and you won't know it until its all together. I use bushings in all my cars, even if they came with a needle bearing. The only time they spin is when the clutch is pushed in.

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
Most came with 11". You can get a 12" up grade.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
So what's the final answer on the clutch size?

You can go 12 or even 12 1/4" (which is generally a redrilled 12" to fit the 12 1/4 but gives a little more surface area ) if you go to a SMF with the larger discs, you end up getting basically as many dampening springs as you had with the DMF so essentially no rollover noise, where an 11in in a smf has only 4 springs in the hub, and reusing an old DMF is playing with fire. Definitely get the lkevlar pilot bushing, trouble free operation * if installed properly*

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
You can go 12 or even 12 1/4" (which is generally a redrilled 12" to fit the 12 1/4 but gives a little more surface area ) if you go to a SMF with the larger discs, you end up getting basically as many dampening springs as you had with the DMF so essentially no rollover noise, where an 11in in a smf has only 4 springs in the hub, and reusing an old DMF is playing with fire. Definitely get the lkevlar pilot bushing, trouble free operation * if installed properly*

He has a 4 speed. Already smf. LOL

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
following this thread cause i too need to replace my clutch soon, and want to get a good one.. but i am running a 7.3... my clutch was supposedly pretty fresh when i got the truck but now with all new injectors and a baby moose i think the clutch is letting some power fail me when towing.... i want a clutch that is direct bolt on, no mods needed, and will hold like a sumagun when pulling..