Which alternator?

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
My 94 is having alternator issues. It's only putting out 11.5v at idle and the idiot battery light comes on. I looked on NAPA's site and found several possibilities.

They have 130, 95 and even a 200AMP to choose from... What's OEM?

Here's a pic:

You must be registered for see images attach

Also, the belt has 7 ribs on the underside. All the NAPA choices say 6 groove pulley... Any ideas?

Silver91Hatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats a 130 Amp IIRC. 4 holes between the ribs is 95A and a 130A has 2 holes and I haven't seen a stock 200A unless it was an ambulance.

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
Thats a 130 Amp IIRC. 4 holes between the ribs is 95A and a 130A has 2 holes and I haven't seen a stock 200A unless it was an ambulance.

Thanks for the info!

NAPA sells a 200AMP high output, that is designed for trucks without the ambulance prep..

Is there any special plugs, that I have to match up?

Silver91Hatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 95A and 130A have the same plugs, the 200A, I have no idea. If you wanted to be supercheap, that same alternator is factory equip. on explorers and aerostars.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
130 is oem, most after market all ya have to do is change the pulley.
also when you go for any thing belt driven, the 7 rib is a 94 only thing, but you can use 8 rib stuff, also I have a spare alt here I will sell for $50+ shipping.

yoslick

Reaction score
If ya go for the 200 find an AIC on Ebay to get your rpm's up so the alternator will work right

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
If ya go for the 200 find an AIC on Ebay to get your rpm's up so the alternator will work right

Please explain. I have upgraded to a 200amp alternator but at idle the dummy charge needle seems too far to the left. Once driving the charge needle is where it should be far to the right. What exactly is an AIC and how will it help?

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
Please explain. I have upgraded to a 200amp alternator but at idle the dummy charge needle seems too far to the left. Once driving the charge needle is where it should be far to the right. What exactly is an AIC and how will it help?

I believe it's an Auxiliary Idle Controller...

Here is one.... CLICKY

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
beware the factory AIC may not work on a 94 with out a computer upgrade.
as for the splice and dice ones, I dont recomend,

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
Mine is a '97 that had the PCM reprogrammed from NAW6 to TDE1

I've heard of the AIC mod for many years but never understood the function of it. So all it does is raise the idle RPMs from ~500 to a bit more like ~600->~700? I always thought the reason for the needle drop at idle was because the 200 amp pulley was a different size from stock. :dunno So does the AIC stay on all the time? Only in stop n go traffic but not on the interstate? The idle needle drop has been like this for four years since the upgrade and I have never experienced an issue with it but if all 200 amp alternators show the same drop as mine at idle then that explains a lot.
But I have a DP Tuner chip with high idle. I never drive with it on. I was told that was a VERY BAD thing to do. I always run at stock (I'm so lame :D).
If I run on 40 or 80 hp settings won't that raise my idle a bit to not need the AIC?

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
So I guess my biggest issue is when driving at night with my headlights on, the lights dim when I come to a stop. Then they get brighter once I start moving. Add to this the large amp draw when my vegoil heaters are on in addition to my headlights. Switching my chip to high idle at every red light is rEtArDeD. So You guys are saying that at every red light I should flip the AIC on then off when the light turns green? That's rEtArDeD too.

Still not convinced.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i had a AIC in my '97 F450. It was programed to automatically kick on when the motor was idling for more than 2 mins. I didn't know you had to reprogram the ECM for the AIS. I'm glad it was a company truck so I didn't have to worry about that stuff:D;Sweet

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
My reprogramming was done in '05 because with the NAW6 code it shifted like crap. That was way before the 200 amp alternator and vegoil which started in May 06.

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
as for the splice and dice ones, I dont recomend,

You mean that the factory installed the AIC and the computer, but the AIC won't work? Was the computer unable to activate the AIC, when it left the factory?