Which 33/38 gallon rear tank?

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had any issues with galvanized tanks and diesel?

I'm searching all over the forums and I'm not sure which tank to get - my 87 f250 has a rusty rear tank so I'm going to get the fuel lines and tank replaced. Between my back and living in a hotel I can't do it myself right now. I was nearly stranded a few weeks ago after switching to the rear tank, tons of rust in the fuel filter and prefilter of the lift pump.

I've read about several possible tanks that may or may not fit with the fuel sender I have (after modifying it for the depth):

Spectra:
F8E
F8D
F26D
F26E

Plastic Bronco tanks:
https://shop.broncograveyard.com/Gas-Tank-33-Gallon-Plastic-90-96/productinfo/30216/
https://shop.broncograveyard.com/Gas-Tank-33-Gallon-Plastic-80-89/productinfo/30212/

Or the LMC 38 gallon kit:
http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fd/full.aspx?Page=42

Any insight is appreciated.

gerlbaum

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I've seen, it's the F26E.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

What I used for my 1987 so I can confirm they fit that style. Regarding the galvanized I believe all these tanks are ni-terne coated steel, which is different from galvanized (hot dipping in zinc/tin). Any coating could technically flake off, but you also have a fuel filter down the line so that is going to catch anything. I wouldn't worry and everyone that used these tanks, some for years, hasn't had a problem.

Last edited:

gerlbaum

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From the spectra website, Diesel is specifically covered. Granted these may not all be Spectra brand but I'd be willing to bet they are all made the same in the same Chinese facilities.

http://www.spectrapremium.com/products/fuel_tank.html

FUEL TANK
  • Exact fit for easy installation
  • Factory leak tested
  • Meets or exceeds manufacturer's specifications
  • Most extensive coverage in the aftermarket
  • O.E.M. approved ni terne steel
  • Corrosion resistant
  • Precision engineered and tooled under OE specifications
  • All models are validated for fit, form, and function before released into the market
  • Manufactured under ISO 9001 / TS 16949 quality system
  • 100% tested
  • Transit tested packaging
  • Perfect fit guarantee
  • Product liability insurance
  • Three year warranty
    (for use with gasoline containing up to 20% ethanol (E20) and diesel containing up to 5% biodiesel (B5))

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, i really appreciate it!

So the pickup and return need extended, and the float arm replaced or extended, can the straps be reused? Skid plate?

Thanks again

gerlbaum

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, i really appreciate it!

So the pickup and return need extended, and the float arm replaced or extended, can the straps be reused? Skid plate?

Thanks again

At least for an 87 ext cab 4x4 and the F26E tank, yes. It comes with spacers to reuse the skid plate (which also holds the tank, no straps). The pick up seems like it's going to be a pain, but before you put the tank in just look in the filler hole with a flashlight and you can bend the float, pickup, etc...to be in the right spot. If you don't want to solder the pick up extension you can use compression fittings and some diesel resistant glue so they won't come loose (Goop is what I used).

Last edited:

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone put the f26e in an obs? It says it fits the bricknose trucks. Are they really the different in the back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nj_m715

government's finest
Supporting Member
Reaction score
https://www.ebay.com/itm/38-Gallon-...250-350-150-/231288967107?hash=item35d9e58fc3

I put this one in my '96 and used coat hanger to mod the float and tin snipped a new notch to clock the sender but the tank itself bolted right in
I also replaced the rollover valve with a copper elbow and ran a 5/8 or 3/4 vent line for faster fill ups
check your fill hose, replacements are cheap if its dry rotted and cracked
spare goes in the bed for long trips for now, probably make a swing away rack eventually
I put a bronco tire carrier on my old truck
a lifted truck would probably have room to rehang the spare.

I'd love a large side tank too, but couldn't find anything at a reasonable price that's close to bolting in
I'll probably add a second side tank tank to the other someday. seems like a cheaper, easier option

Last edited:

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
https://www.ebay.com/itm/38-Gallon-...250-350-150-/231288967107?hash=item35d9e58fc3

I put this one in my '96 and used coat hanger to mod the float and tin snipped a new notch to clock the sender but the tank itself bolted right in
I also replaced the rollover valve with a copper elbow and ran a 5/8 or 3/4 vent line for faster fill ups
check your fill hose, replacements are cheap if its dry rotted and cracked
spare goes in the bed for long trips for now, probably make a swing away rack eventually
I put a bronco tire carrier on my old truck
a lifted truck would probably have room to rehang the spare.

I'd love a large side tank too, but couldn't find anything at a reasonable price that's close to bolting in
I'll probably add a second side tank tank to the other someday. seems like a cheaper, easier option

The eBay listing that you linked to says that it's not for diesel trucks and that it does not have a vent. Is that the one you bought? Also, how did you deal with the lack of vent? Is it possible, with relative ease, to install a third under body tank in our trucks? If so, where would you fill it from?

nj_m715

government's finest
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe our tanks are vented through the fill tube, but they are famous for being poorly vented.
so I replaced the rollover valve with a copper elbow and ran a 5/8 or 3/4 vent line for faster fill ups

I did a mod similar to this but I didn't tie into the fill tube like he did. I just used crankcase vent and ran it up and over the fill tube inside the body, so its higher than the fill and can't leak when full

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

https://www.amazon.com/BQLZR-Intake...rd_wg=HlleK&psc=1&refRID=HSP1B2RNT534G0PCY1Q6

it's just a metal box to hold fluid, diesel is fine.
lots of guys convert vehicles to diesel without replacing the tanks.

I was thinking about using something like the outboard saddle tanks from an 80's chevy and filling it through the wheel well so I didn't have to chop the body.

since my psd gets much better mpg than my idi, the extra fuel isn't a huge priority.

the simple solution is a 15g plastic drum in the bed and syphon it into the tank on a lunch break during a road trip.
I refuelled my vegoil this way, works fine.

Last edited:

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the simple solution is a 15g plastic drum in the bed and syphon it into the tank on a lunch break during a road trip.
I refuelled my vegoil this way, works fine.

At the local gas station I recently saw a guy who had used one of those 50 gallon food grade blue barrels as a diesel tank--even had a hand crank pump on top. I don't know if it was just a short term transfer tank or if he actually kept the diesel in there. Anybody know if those blue barrels are safe for diesel?

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At the local gas station I recently saw a guy who had used one of those 50 gallon food grade blue barrels as a diesel tank--even had a hand crank pump on top. I don't know if it was just a short term transfer tank or if he actually kept the diesel in there. Anybody know if those blue barrels are safe for diesel?

Wow that's horrific. In the event of a major accident or roll-over thats a significant fuel spill and major fire hazard. Unless it was down on its side and strapped down like the Joker in a mental institution that's ridiculous.
But as stated the plastic drums are HDPE and react to almost nothing.

nj_m715

government's finest
Supporting Member
Reaction score
calm down,it's not horrific. I've seen a lot of guys use the tractor supply pick truck tanks, I've only saw one actually bolted down, but they only bolt into sheet metal and weigh almost 1/2 a ton when full. so even an approved and "properly" installed tank would still be equally horrific in a serious crash, hell the spare tires or other junk we toss in our beds would be horrific in a crash.

most guys put the tanks against the cab and strap it down. in the event of a crash the tank pushes into the bed and cab and basically goes nowhere. I've seen engines torn from car in horrific crashes and engines are bolted in better than the joker.

if you crash at highway speeds its horrific with or without the tank its gonna suck

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wheelsrollin

Members online