Wheres the pickup for the water temp?

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Chuck,
I dropped mine in to the drivers side head towards the front. There should be a plug there you can use.;Sweet

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw a few plugs with square heads in the head above the ex manifold on the drivers side will these work? seems like a good spot, then you could keep the dash one as well.

Joe Mc

Reaction score
Someone wrote the other day that the plug on top of the water pump is a good spot for a temperature probe, they claimed that it received good water flow from both of the heads.

Rawpower

'Froading Freak
Reaction score
I saw a few plugs with square heads in the head above the ex manifold on the drivers side will these work? seems like a good spot, then you could keep the dash one as well.

Thats what I did. But then my factory sensor went out anyways.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
That was me that posted the water pump plug is the best place for the coolant sender location. The large sender on the front of the drivers side head is the "check engine lite". When it sees 242 degrees it closes and peggs the dash gage and turns on the lite. The dash gage sender is located on the drivers side front of the block. It gets moved to the water pump location when you use the location for your new gage. The water pump location is where both heads merge and then the thermostat sees this heat. Using the head location will give you about 7 degrees higher readings. I have tried this and thats what I found. I still run all my dash gages and 6 other gages made by Isspro. I want to know whats going on at all times. I can tell you what your motor will sound like when the oil is over 330 degrees and the coolant has hit the road because someone didn't know how to install freeze plugs. Talk about a solid lifter noise just before the pistons stuck to the cylinder walls and the motor stops turning right now....-cuss :mad:

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
I'm going to put mine in that spot too!, how much water will come out of the plug?? I just scored some gauges from a guy, oil psi, water temp, vacuum, and amps all for $20 (and made in the USA!) now i just got to figure out how and where to stick them in the cab???

Chuckdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok well I got a new gauge and cause it was dark and I just feel really pissed off like-cuss -cuss :shoot: :shoot: :shoot: :frustrate I put the pickup in the plug on the waterpump the first free hole available and let my truck heat up but it only got to 150 degrees :mad: I stayed up till 4am replacing my waterpump hoses and t-stat and now its running cold-cuss I think the -cuss thermostat is stuck open-cuss .-cuss -cuss I feel like smashing stuff and kicking things ARRRRGGG!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
CD... How did you "warm up" the motor? You may still have air trapped and its messing up the temp. Can you see coolant flowing in the top tank? If you install the sender in the water pump when the motor is cold and.... The radiator cap is left on and tight you wont loose any coolant.

Chuckdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea thats what i did. and lost very little coolant. today just to be sure i pulled off the hose for the heater core and out came coolant so i put it back on topped off the radiator and let it idle hoping for the t-stat to open but no after about 20 min the temp gauge barely moved and was at 110 and it starts at 100 so fustrating. the radiator was warm and the block still cool to the touch. the upper hose is soft and i can flatten it with my hand I guess i shall see what happens when i return the fan clutch tools to advance but I has not warmed up.

see my post on waterpump drama I said all of what happened and that may give insight. I hope Im not hurting anything. If it really is truly cold not due to air then that is bad right?

Chuckdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so i went to advance and 155 was about tops and the radiator was not really flaming hot and the block was hot but still i can hold my hand there for bit before its to hot like 10 seconds so I think the thermostat is stuck open. Does that sound right. I really dont want to have to take it out and replace it.

Joe Mc

Reaction score
Did you get the thermostat from Ford or International? Aftermarket thermostats are not recommended for these engines. Is the check ball in-place and moving freely?

Chuckdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok well it is made by stant what happened is that it has a rubber gasket around it and part of the gasket ripped and got stuck in the thermostat and it stayed cracked open so i replaced the thermostat and the water housing gasket again and I guess we will see after i leave finally and go to work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online