Where to get it timed in South Florida?

rob93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck could definitely use a new IP... I want to know I can get it properly timed somewhere before I go ahead and buy one. I am near ft. lauderdale florida.

I called a couple local diesel shops who sent me to some other diesel shops, but no luck yet.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sorry I can't tell you where to find a shop that will do this for you. As for changing the pump and timing it you can do this. One has to know those marks on the pump and housing means really nothing. All pumps are built differantly so the timing is set differantly when they are overhauled. Only the very first pump installed at the factory means anything to the marks. So now thats done. Install a moose pump and guess where to align the marks. Bleed the fuel system to the point the engine starts. See how its running. If it sounds good drive it. Feel and listen for the fast idle and internal advance shuts down. If the engine sounds like its a psd engine rattleing loudly after the advance is off then you have it too far advanced. If it sounds really quite run a jumper wire to the injection pump electrical advance from the battery. See how it drives and sounds. If its sounding like a psd then remove the jumper wire and drive again. Its probably just right if the engine sounds with a small rattle noise. Truely having the engine timed with a meter is the best idea. Hopefully I will have my timing meter rental program working again. Its been too long that the program was destroyed by some careless members ruining this for everyone. When you break something man up and say so. Honesty and integirty means more than a silly broken meter. I'm ready to make some changes but they will cause more delays with the program. I will pay the shipping to the person useing the meter. That person will pay the return shipping back to me... No more sending the meter to the next on the list even if that person lives 100 miles away. I trusted members to use my meters and ship to the next person on the list. Many times it worked great having a meter on the weat and east coast going close to the area... No longer will that happen no matter what. I have 11 broken meters at this time. Thats an expense I paid for.

ah1988ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I only kinda know of one member in Fl. I think he is in gainsville ... I forgot his username ???
Sorry to hear that Gary, I did not realize you had so many broken meters ....

rob93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry I can't tell you where to find a shop that will do this for you. As for changing the pump and timing it you can do this. One has to know those marks on the pump and housing means really nothing. All pumps are built differantly so the timing is set differantly when they are overhauled. Only the very first pump installed at the factory means anything to the marks. So now thats done. Install a moose pump and guess where to align the marks. Bleed the fuel system to the point the engine starts. See how its running. If it sounds good drive it. Feel and listen for the fast idle and internal advance shuts down. If the engine sounds like its a psd engine rattleing loudly after the advance is off then you have it too far advanced. If it sounds really quite run a jumper wire to the injection pump electrical advance from the battery. See how it drives and sounds. If its sounding like a psd then remove the jumper wire and drive again. Its probably just right if the engine sounds with a small rattle noise. Truely having the engine timed with a meter is the best idea. Hopefully I will have my timing meter rental program working again. Its been too long that the program was destroyed by some careless members ruining this for everyone. When you break something man up and say so. Honesty and integirty means more than a silly broken meter. I'm ready to make some changes but they will cause more delays with the program. I will pay the shipping to the person useing the meter. That person will pay the return shipping back to me... No more sending the meter to the next on the list even if that person lives 100 miles away. I trusted members to use my meters and ship to the next person on the list. Many times it worked great having a meter on the weat and east coast going close to the area... No longer will that happen no matter what. I have 11 broken meters at this time. Thats an expense I paid for.

I have been messing with the timing on the trucks original IP lately, trying to get some timing back which it has lost over the years. I'm finding it difficult to do it by ear, this is my first diesel and I've only been around them and working on them for a few months. I'll try my best to listen for the difference people always talk about...

As far as your rental program... Were you charging a fee? I know these units are pricey, and I'm not sure which style you were using, but if you charged a fee where you could get back the cost of the meter in say, 8-10 rentals, a broken meter would not be an expense for you. I'm sure you thought of this already (or this is what you were doing). I would not mind paying for the rental.

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
I only kinda know of one member in Fl. I think he is in gainsville ... I forgot his username ???
Sorry to hear that Gary, I did not realize you had so many broken meters ....

gonecrazyi (Billy) is up in Gainesville, and itsacrazyasian (Pat) is down in the Ft Lauderdale area. Pat has a garage, but I don't know if he has a timing meter.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I was chargeing a $60.00 fee but that in no way pays for the meters I have. I use the kent moore j33300 and the j33300-a meters. They can be expensive but I have paid as low as $100.00 for a j3330 but as high as $300.00 for the better j33300-a meters. Just the magnetic probes will cost you $375.00 and a lumi probe is around $275.00 if you choose to use that kind of timing.. I use and recommend the pulse type timing. Clean two locations. Connect two probes. Press one rocker switch. Fire up the engine and rev to 2000 rpm.. Read the timing and rpm on the meter digital display.. Shut down to make any changes.. Never try to adjust the pump with the engine running. That pump is capable of making 5000 lbs of pump pressure.. You could not hold the pump from twisting on you and it can break the main shaft in it... Then you are in a real mess with a no core value pump...

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used Diesel Power And Injection to redo my injection pump, they did a excellent job for me.

http://www.dpii.com/
Diesel Power & Injection
7741 NW 53 Street - Miami , FL 33166

Ph: (305) 592-7070 | Ph: (305) 592-7715

Javier

Last edited:

ah1988ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Billy's down by me Orlando area he dosent have a meter or he didnt when we were doing my pump.
Asia is your best bet there was a guy a bit north of us who had a meter give billy a pm he might know or flareside_thun

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
77f250diesel - Dennis has one, but he is a steep ride north... He is in New Port Richey, super nice guy, he helped with my IP an injector swap, and was going to time my pump but his meter started giving him issues.. Again very nice guy, if all else fails maybe check with him..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online