Where to find o ring for fuel heater sensor

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the classic fuel leak around the fuel heater sensor on to of the fuel filter head.
I got the fuel filter head apart and found the bad o ring, but I cannot find a replacement. The o ring is 5/8" id, 13/16" od, 3/32" thickness (which is easy to find) except the o ring is flat, not the typical round.
Where can I find one of these!?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I modified an injector o-ring to fit mine (return cap o-ring). I stretched it over a drill bit shank and spun it against my bench grinder to resize it. Works perfectly if you are stuck.

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nearest Ford or IH dealer is 70+ miles away, and I work while everything is open. I was wondering about an Internet source.
I have read about that, mblaney, just not sure if I could pull it off.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
International has the o ring and its not a flat ring. Yours is old and deformed to look flat. We finally found out how this fuel heater works but ford "forgot" to mention it to us in the owners manual. We are supposed so we are told to turn on the ignition switch 5 minutes before we attempt to start our engines so the heater can warm up the fuel...:eek::angel: Well I'm not doing that because its wasting the glow plugs. Many have removed the fuel heater and found they are running fine without it. Some drill and tap the hole in the top of the filter head and install a pipe plug. Others fill the hole with JB Weld or RTV and seal it up. Even in the cold climates on the east coast its not needed. So here on the west coast its a no brainer for me. Next time I see a leak its gone. The International part number is found in the parts Bin forum

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck has the plug in behind the bumber. I assumed this was a block heater. Does this connect to the fuel heater or is it a fuel heater instead of a block heater?

vandy7.3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That would be your block heater. It has nothing to do with the fuel heater

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, so if I don't run down an o ring soon I'll plug it up. It does sound life a rather pointless addition

vandy7.3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it were me, I'd plug it. My truck is leaking in the same spot. Gonna pull the filter head off and plug it while im doing my turbo install in the next couple weeks

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found a slightly thinner o ring that actually seems to be holding at the moment.
After I got it all back together a while new problem showed up.
My OD light is dimly lit, not blinking, and the truck doesn't wanted to take off, like it's not in first gear.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the fuel filter heater line they tapped into the fuse in the power distribution box that also supplies power to the transmission.........cheap ars ford.so when the heating element's connector fails and leaks,it will short out the power to the trans control unit.i believe over time,this killed the tcm in log truck (f450.)
if the OD light is dim (approx 1/2 it's normal brightness) and the cancel button doesn't appear to do anything,then likely the fuse is just blown.
in log truck,my fuse was still good.the fuel leaked shorting out the line,but didn't blow the fuse.over time it did something to the TCM and i had an extremely dim od light (different than when the tcm just looses power.only 1/4 brightness) but the TCM was still functioning as normal as did the od cancel switch.i still replaced the tcm before it just failed on me though.hopefully you caught yours in time and it just fully shorted out and popped the fuse,which is no doubt much more likely.
i plugged and tapped the hole and ditched the power supply wire from the circuit.if i ever wanted a filter heater again,id get a universal wrap style and run a devoted power line from a relay and fuse,no longer on with power that feeds my expensive transmission.
being a 2wd truck though,she'll be just covered by normal insurance through good weather and left parked from Dec-April every year anyway so a heating element was of no concern.i don't even have one in chip truck which does see some winter use.

Last edited:

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
attachment.php

PCM is TCM fuse for idi trucks.check I &U noted there.if they're not blown,then check the relay on the bottom too.any of the others will work there to test.any common relay will work there from the parts houses too.just snap off the screw hole tab on top so the lid will close on the PDB is all.but it's doubtful the relay went bad in your case,it should have just popped a fuse.top center most likely.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
Awesome, thanks. I was thinking it was a fuse or relay problem

If you PM your address to me I will mail you a handful of Orings. When i replaced mine I bought a package of like 100 Orings of the various sizes everyone said they were or could be...

Also, i'm guessing you blew a fuse while messing with the heater. When mine blew my OD light would glow dim. But for me, when it blew the fuel shut off solenoid also lost power...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bob123456789

Members online