Where do I put my Spare Tire?

82fordtruck

Reaction score
I have a 95 F250 with a flatbed. The flatbed is shorter than a regular bed, and I can't fit the spare tire in the spot where it goes. As a matter of fact, it didn't come with a spare tire, and I got one. Now, i don't ever have it because it won't fit.

Ordinarily, I'd put it on the headache rack, but my mower takes the whole flatbed when I load it, and can't fit it there either. So that leaves two spots - the front bumper and the top of the cab. I found a front bumper mount, with a front reicever hitch (very useful, no tow hooks). I am worried that this will look as redneck as what I am picturing though.Anyone got a picture of this?

I don't really care what it looks like, but I don't want people snickering when I go somewhere.

MTIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bolt it to the side of the flatbed? top of the cab would be the most out of the way.

just rig something up to keep it solid on the headache rack, that way you don't have to drill or weld on to your roof.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The front bumper deal would block a lot of air flow. I'd get a roof rack, or if the flatbed has a headach rack put it there.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every time I see someone with a tire on their front bumper I think they are SUCH hillbillies.

Is there room to bolt the wheel up under the passenger side of the flatbed? I'm picturing 2 carriage bolts through the flatbed floor going through 2 of the wheels' lug holes..

Roland_Jenkins

Señor Member
Reaction score
Put it on the front bumper and to heck with what people think. If it bothers you that much, get a tire cover with a big yellow smiley face on it.

Everybody knows that no self respecting redneck wouldn't have a smiley face tire cover.

82fordtruck

Reaction score
bolt it to the side of the flatbed? top of the cab would be the most out of the way.

just rig something up to keep it solid on the headache rack, that way you don't have to drill or weld on to your roof.

I don't want anything sticking out the side. This would be the same problem with bolting it underneath, it'll still stick out the side a foot or so.

I am also concerned about overheating, but I never tow much with this truck, got the Duramax for that. I was hoping I could get away with it.

I suppose I need to talk to a welder about this. I just don't have time to do it myself. I don't like the headache rack anyway, maybe I'll fix them both at the same time. I've decided that if I put it there, I'll make a horizontal shelf on top of the cab attached to the headache rack. This will hold the spare tire, and it's not attached to the cab at all.

That still seems to be hillbilly-ish to me, but not enough to laugh at?

82fordtruck

Reaction score
Put it on the front bumper and to heck with what people think. If it bothers you that much, get a tire cover with a big yellow smiley face on it.

Everybody knows that no self respecting redneck wouldn't have a smiley face tire cover.

That's funny. I always say I don't care what people think, but I guess I do....

dammit!

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon

Yeah, and everbody knows that rednecks with smiley faced spares on the front bumper are dangerous and need more room......
Bent, mangled front bumpers & grills in a rearview mirrow works too!! It WILL open up your driving lane immediately!!!
I been leaving 15-20 min late to everywhere I go & still get there on time......It works, I tell 'ya!!!:Sly :Sly

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Here's another thought.
Build an angled rack for it to slide into on the passenger side under the flatbed.
Kinda like how some of the big rig trailers are set up.
That way it would still be accessible but out of the way.

Just my $.02

Last edited:

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
I always wanted to sub-section the framework on a flatbed, so there was room to have an access panel, and store the spare under the bed floor.

I did some measuring on my ramp truck, and it will work. Moved on to other project, before it became reality.

foxman

foxman
Reaction score
foxman has the headach rack foe your tire that he cut off the head board of his flatbed.. will ship freight collect if you are serious about needing it