where do i buy a new luk clutch?

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
the front seal on my tranny was junk and puked fluid all over my clutch. I have a luk smf system and I'm wondering where I get another 12" clutch disk for a smf? Does it have to be a luk clutch? napa and oreilleys only show dmf clutches (which makes sense i realize since thats all they had factory).

it definitely sucks because my clutch was like new.. but one side of it is pretty black, i think it got a lot of fluid in it.

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
to use my luk pressure plate and flywheel do i have to buy another luk clutch? or are other brands compatible? i've having a hard time finding the luk smf kit, let alone just the disk itself. bronco graveyard has it but they wont sell just the disk.

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
i did find the kit at carolina clutch but no one is picking up the phones.. try again in a bit

dmaxjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you change the seal yourself or did you have a tranny shop do it ? I have been putting it off because I called around a locally and they wanted $500- $750 to do it-cuss

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you might be able to save the clutch buy cleaning it with some brake cleaner.....

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
If you're in a hurry and you want to buy from Shucks/O'reillys, just have them pull the application for an 87, which is a 6.9, 5spd with the SM flywheel.

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
The 87 already has a dual-mass flywheel, but that is the kit to use though. Part #07-076 for a full repset. I got mine off Ebay for about 170 shipped.

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
i've got a friend replacing the seal for me, he used to work on transmissions for ford so its no big deal to him. he's gonna check the syncronizers (sp?) while he's at it.

so this 07-076 kit will work with my luk flywheel? i found a couple sites with that kit for around 150-200. cant help but wonder why its over 200 less than the same luk kit.

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
eh, i dont know.. that clutch is only 11", big difference between 11 and 12.25. and its meant for dmf, not sm. i'll call carolina clutch again tomorrow.

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
Oh sorry, didn't read the whole thing to see you were looking for a 12.25" clutch. But I do know for a fact that the one I said will bolt to a SMF because I did it.

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
So I guess 87 is the only year application that is a ZF input shaft clutch that is 11" clutch so it'll bolt to a SMF. Although I do remember on Silverburners 86 it did have gear rollover noise.

The luk flywheel you have allows the 12.25" clutch with more springs for less gear rollover noise. I want to say that the disc is a powerstroke application but I'm not sure. (obviously)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online