When the $hit flows down hill! (My New Truck)

firemedicmonkey

Erie Surf and Ski
Reaction score
Well i just talked with the seller. Told him my long drama filled story of the trip home. and he concurrs with my idea, which i got from this site and from my buddy who runs a fleet of ford diesel tow-trucks. So I am taking the truck into the local tranny shop that offers to pull the error codes for free and inspect the tranny and such for free. So tomorrow morning they are going to have a look at it. Maybe they can find the leak if it exhist and pull the error codes so that light stops blinking. lol The seller said if it comes to a rebuild he is is going to help pay for it, i am not sure what that means. So i think for right now I will have to put the swap on hold, all my money is tied up in the truck and with my dad's dodge taking a **** on him from the begining of the trip he is using my f-150 so I cant have this truck down for too long. I will post the results of what the tranny shop says tomorrow.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would certainly start with the standard "got my new used truck now what" maintainance stuff. Replace all belts, hoses, fluids, filters, Test injectors and replace as needed, and do new return lines. Once you've renewed everything, the list of crap to go wrong will be small and the chances of finding other stuff that needs done in the process will be good. A leak such as you describe should be easy to find once everything is clean.

firemedicmonkey

Erie Surf and Ski
Reaction score
Just got back from the tranny shop!!!

Just Got Back from the tranny shop! :mad: -cuss :backoff :puke: :***: :cry:
:shoot: Automatics

Ok now that is out of my system here is what I found out. Starting with the codes:
67: Park Neutral Position Switch
49: 1-2 Shift error Code
62: Convertor Slip Code
68: Oil overtemp Code

That combined with the test drive results in this. The torque convertor isnt locking up its slipping. The tranny is thus over heating the results of both are leading to a pressure build up that is causing the hard 1-2 shifts. The mysterious oily substance under the truck= transmission fluid, that was over heated and over pressure so it vented out the tranny vent and all over the underside. So to sum it up, I have to get a reabuild. Here are the options, shop 1) Unknown chain transmission shop $1800 +, 2) Highly recomended high volume local shop with a possible 1 day turn around and they will mod it out to make it heavy duty for towing and plowing $1500 plus tax 3) I do the R and R and pay for shipping back to the seller in Bloomington IL, its supposed to cost less then $150 todo that, he then will get his "guy" total unknown to me, but this guy has a shop and does all the sellers trannys, to rebuild it, seller pays the costs, plus he pays shipping costs back to me. So my out of pocket Lots of time, and about $150 or less. Problem is I dont have a replacement vehicle while this one is down, so I am figuring on waiting, then I will do the other drive train and suspension work all at once in about a month or too.

Other Trouble Code:
14 Profile Ignition Codes Engine
anyone know what this code is about, the guy at the shop says he sees it alot on diesels even when they are running ok, like mine. Oh and by the way went to autozone today and they knew nothing about SCAs and cavitation, people keep looking at me like I am crazy cookoo when I try to explain it to them.

Keep it flowing, it never rains it always poors -cuss

firemedicmonkey

Erie Surf and Ski
Reaction score
well i already explained it to him and he is cool with waiting, b/c there is no way i can get it out before the begining of march and he is a free-lance photographer for national geo-graphic :hail and he is leaving for 45 days to antarctic to photograph penguins :thumbsup: . i dunno if i mentioned it earlier, the purchase of the truck comes with unlimited (well limited by my budget) use of his 6 person cabin in some huge state park in alaska, he lives in anchorage in the summer time when its only like 0 deg out ;Really

Cowboy_Customs

Rhinestone Cowboy
Reaction score
sorry to hear about your troubles on the trans, that really sucks! First, on the SCA's local parts stores dont carry them it. If yours are anything like mine here, I know the dumb look you got. You gotta go to, sometimes, Ford dealerships, or Big rig dealer/service places, or big rig parts shops like Fleetpride. And I dont know if you have any, but get the test strips as well, and test it before you add any SCA's (A.K.A. DCA's).
Second, on the trans deal, I would ask some questions to the seller, like who is the mechanic, and is he an Automatic trans certified rebuilder, ask for a phone number to him as well. E4OD's are way to screwwy to send to someone who doesnt do it FULL time. I would see how much he is willing to pay for the rebuild, sounds to me like quite a bit, but Id stick with the well known 1500 dollar shop personally. Also, there are some updates on this trans. I do not know what they are, so ask around, either here, or the shops.
Now when you get er rebuilt, Id do 2 things. 1) add an external cooler if it doesnt already have one. 2) while the trans is out get yourself a Sonnax ( Blackclouddieselperformance.com ) calls it a "Tricumulator valve" I have one for my 92 but havent put it in yet, I'll get you the part number if u want. its cheap for the added piece of mind it gives you, sposed to firm up the lazy a$$ shifts and increase holding capacity of the bands.
Oh also, Id also ask the shop that says they can hop up the trans. with these componants, and those fancy thingamajigs over there. Just what exactly they are supposed to do, what is it exactly, and who makes em.

a good story of this is a local shop here (now outta business, go figure) called Jacko tansmissions (hehehe I call em somethin else, ya'll probly know what!) Rebuilt the same trans, 4 times in 3 years! on a truck that see's maybe 5k miles a year! supposedly they did this and did that, yeah right :Whatever: well the last time they rebuilt it was for free, cause the converter exploded again (NOT REPLACED) and took the trans with it, not even a month after the rebuild. At 1800 green backs each time.
So anyway ask all sorts of questions before ya hand it over to just anybody!

Exekiel69

Reaction score
82fordtruck said:
that's too bad.

don't wait though. He may not be so generous later.

That is exactly what I was going to say, get it done now so you can get ready for a manual tranny convert latter. If the seller offers to get it done for you never say no, also try and see if you can get a warranty out of the shop that'll do the rebuild.

firemedicmonkey

Erie Surf and Ski
Reaction score
here's my problem, i just moved and I am still unpacking and remodeling, and trying to remodel and sell my parents old house. meanwhile I am going to school for a triple major and I am in paramedic school, so i got like zero time in the next month to pull that tranny. the tranny on my dads car let go on the way to pick this truck up so i have to let my dad use my f-150 so if i take the diesel down then i am walking the 15 miles to school. besides that buying this diesels got me broke as ****, so i am pretty much at the guys mercy to have him and his guy do the rebuild.

this guy runs all diesels, several semis, a hummer in alaska, and a couple of powerstrokers, he does truck pulls, so I am guessing that if he says heys got a guy todo it then he is getting a good price and good work. I can ask about a warantee and parts and such and if you send me that part number i will try and get that but i am seriously strapped i was hoping when i first bought the diesel to park it for a month or two and do all the suspension and cooling and other mods and fix ups at my own pace, now i have to just get it working.

if any of you all are around ohio and want to help me pull that tranny i can make space in my garage and prolly get some heat out there, but my tools are in a couple of big boxes, i could prolly afford to pay you in beer and steaks but thats about all this poor firefighting college kid can afford! :angel:

as far as the coolant thing goes yeah i am going to have todo some looking around to find a place to get a coolant filter, and a thermostat, and the right coolant, etc and so forth, did i hear that napa might carry the stuff? I start working at autozone next week, another reason i was going to park that truck while i saved up money and discounted parts for it. i dunno what i am gonna do at this point thats why this post is call when the $hit flows downhill cause i am at the bottom right now. i know sooner or later though me and my idi powered bio-diesel express will be on top ******** chevy's and farting dodges, and who needs to be stroked anyways? IDI all the way, thanks for all the help so far guys :thumbsup:

82fordtruck

Reaction score
I don't know what to say, but this is not all that is going to surprise you and break. I don't believe that his fix will be a long term one either. I think the best thing for you is to get the guy to buy it back, and save you money to buy a truck in nicer condition.

I paid more for my truck than you did for yours, and I paid over 4k in parts within the first year. This old truck will break you if you don't have the income to support it. I just finished school a few months ago, and had a painting business. That's why I had the truck. I could not have afforded the repairs otherwise. You can't even have an oil change done for less than $100.

by the way, that 4k didn't include any upgrades (like a turbo, exhaust, paint, pyro, etc.), any engine, transmission, or rear end repairs. Everything is just more expensive on diesels, a lot more expensive.

Cowboy_Customs

Rhinestone Cowboy
Reaction score
96948-01k Is the part number on that valve, and here is the link for the auction I got it from.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8032107765&sspagename=ADME:B:AAQ:US:1
Make sure it is the .427" valve. I guess the .500" Is a really rugged one for hard core shifts. Or the guy just didnt know what he was talking about, told me the .500" on a diesel would break stuff. :confused:
Good luck on that tranny, It sounds like a good deal then after ya explained it all about him pullin, n know'n a guy that'll rebuild it then. Id say go for it, n ask for a warranty if possible, and also if that inlcudes a new Torque converter. I know its free to you, but from what ive seen on these, ya need a TC when u rebuild em.

firemedicmonkey

Erie Surf and Ski
Reaction score
Oh i know that the current torque convertor is bad. It is not locking up, it slipping that is what I think is causing the high trans fluid pressure and the hard shifts. AS far as the comments on income and such I didn't buy this as a daily driver, I bought it as a project I know I need to spend a few thousand to get it to where I can use it everyday. I just need to make it last till my dad gets a car and stops using my daily driver.

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good luck with your truck. These old rigs can be very frustrating and very expensive... I have so much in my truck that I could have bought a newer (no newer than a '99) Powerstroke instead.

Then I'd be paying even more for maintenance/repair expenses.

Honest truth is that these trucks are sharp looking and unique now that there aren't so many of them on the road. They're also more truck-like than the new ones... built back when people bought trucks to work. I get a certain sense of pride when driving the IDI... even if she isn't as fast as the new trucks or as comfortable. She is rugged.

I was one day away from her next owner bringing me $$ for her a few months ago... and backed out at the last minute. Worst decision I could have made. What I would have gotten for her would have, instead of going to the purchase of a new truck as intended, gone to fix the transmission in my 2001 Chevy Impala with only 40,000 miles on it. Waste, waste, waste...

My opinion... that I will hopefully back up with fact... is that a rebuilt IDI (trans and engine), plus turbo and necessary cooling for trans and EGTs, can be more durable and more reliable than a PSD and definitely less expensive to operate and repair (when necessary.)

We'll see if my theory holds true...

The other side is that I've enjoyed taking my IDI from a used truck that was falling apart to something a little nicer, step by step. She just got new headlight assemblies--crystal clear--a *properly* wired headlight switch (new), relay to take the electrical load off the switch (so she doesn't burn up), new A/C blower motor, and is soon to get new coolant and related parts. Lots of money, but I've learned a lot and have a truck that is paid for. Most of what I'm doing is elective--not required--in hopes of increasing reliability and peace of mind.

Fun stuff...

Mike

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online