Wheel Hop Issue On Take Off?

ZWilson07

Cowboy
Reaction score
Wheel Hop/Axle Wrap Issue On Take Off?

Hey guys just had a quick question on my 90.

I started noticing last year that I started to get a small amount of wheel hop/axle wrap from the rear when going from a start, but if I eased the clutch out and just went slow it wouldn't do it. Mainly just if trying to take off very quickly or accelerating quickly from a start.

The truck sat in the garage since earlier this year and I have noticed now it has started to get worse and worse where it pretty much does it no matter how easy I am on it. I don't think it is the clutch since it still grabs and does fine, it is simply just from a start. I doubt it is a u-bolt loosening up since it has just been sitting in the garage for awhile.

Do you guys just think that it is the rubber bushings for the rear leafs? I am sure my leafs are worse somewhat but figured doing the bushings might be the best first step, they looks pretty dryrotted and cracked. Any one else have some thoughts?

Thanks

Last edited:

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
traction bars will solve this issue.
could be your u-joints,
but id bet that your springs and bushings are worn.
inspect the leaf spring pads that are welded to the rearend.
if your pinion angle changes, the hop gets nastier.

ZWilson07

Cowboy
Reaction score
Checked the u joints and they are good. Dont see any broken pins for the springs. U bolts are tight, and measuring from top of tire to top of wheel arch, they are almost identical within 1/4 inch so i'd say one isn't broken.

Looks like I will have to change the leaf spring bushings. I am not expecting it to be perfect but I know it has definitely changed. Guess the past winter was to much for the stock rubber bushings finally.

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd suspect the clutch. You say it is ok if you go easy on it, but is bad if you try to leave quick. My Dodge does this now a days too. It's been getting progressively worse over the last year. It started out that it only chattered/grabbed when it was hot after a long run, but it's doing it more when just around town. These Fords seem to have some pretty pronounced rear lift when accelerating to begin with, and a grabby/chattering clutch will amplify the phenomenon.
Travis..

cviola2005

6.2/6.5 Detroit Nut
Reaction score
I agree that the clutch would be the culprit. Used to have a 90 F350 Dually. Only wheel hopped when trying to take off hard. Knew the clutch was getting bad. No more wheel hop after clutch replacement.

ZWilson07

Cowboy
Reaction score
It is NOT a drag truck, just ease into it and drive it smooooothly!

I know that, I have had numerous manual vehicles. Im not talking about racing the truck or trying to get out of the hole quickly I am talking about a normal smooth easy release of the clutch.

When I mentioned doing it softer before to help the issue I wasn't meaning the correct way to release the clutch on an older vehicle, I am talking about as soft and slow as you could physically do it and still move the truck effectively.

After checking the u joints and making sure the u bolts were tight, it seems to be back to normal. Maybe it just needed a little more driving and loosening up from sitting for awhile or the u joint had bound up a little and breaking it down helped it. But I basically got no movement at all from the u bolts, and even as soon as I dropped the shaft, the u joint had plenty of movement with absolute ease so I don't think I really did much of anything but I am not gonna complain.

I appreciate the thoughts and info guys.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Staff online

Members online