Whats the deal with these #%* E4od

Magoo

Blind Brain Surgeon
Reaction score
Mine is new. Got all known bugs worked out. The truck has 4.10 gears with 33 inch tires and have the speedo gear corectioin. I get 12mpg at best. And, it is slow moving off idel. In other words it has to build RPMs to get moving. Have a buddy who brought by his 83 Chevy 3/4 ton 4x with the 6.2 na diesel. Off idel its like a gasser. Takes off imediately and he is getting 18mpg and swears his best hiway run was 22mpg. Same gearing and I'd swear he has as much if not more pulling power. Seams like there must be something wrong with mine. As I recal though, all the Ford diesels I drove were slow off the line. Even some of the power strokes. It really bums me out. I would like to getter mpg out of her. My old 65 gets 12 and she has a built 390 in her now.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
part of the problem is the tire size.you should drop o a lower gear ratio to compensate for the taller tires.you will probably need to go to 4.56 or 5.13 to get back to or close to stock gearing.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
The Goodyear web site shows the stock tire as 235/85R16/E which is 31.7 inches tall. A 33 inch tire should not make that much difference. According to Randy's Ring and Pinion calculator, that is only 75 RPM at 60 MPH. Granted, raising the gear ratio would take away take off, I don't think an inch would make that much difference.

Is your turbo wastegated? If not, might just be turbo lag. How does it do on top end? I know my NA 6.9 takes off harder than the three turbo (1 ATS, two Hypermax) trucks around here. At about 2000 RPM though, they are running over me! :)

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
4.10's and 33's should be no problem at all. Heck, my C6 and 31's will take off like your friends Chevy. Sounds like a torque converter issue to me.

rancherman84

P.E.R.F.E.C.T!
Reaction score
i run 33's on my 92 n/a with 3.55's and have no problem getting up to speed.
i agree with agnem,sounds like a t/c problem

Magoo

Blind Brain Surgeon
Reaction score
Some good points brought up. It does have a waste gate. And the guy who built the trans had a high dollar convertor installed specificaly for towing heavy loads. Never thought about that. As for the tires, the Cheby is running 33 also, and its the 700r4. All that said, was coming home yesterday and a friend of mine who has a 92 with a 7.3 n/a and our trucks are fairly equally matched for tires and gearing, (his is a 5 speed) and he was riding my butt so I burried the pedal and left him. He stoped by the house after and said when he saw the smoke he grabed a gear and was willing to blow her up to try and catch me but said I just kept pulling away. He could never narrow the gap. So I guess its a top end performer and not much of a off the line truck. It makes sence to get the Rs up a bit before trand comes on for hauling heavy loads. I just dont tow too much any more. 2 or three times a year I might slap 10k lbs behind a truck.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Takes off imediately and he is getting 18mpg and swears his best hiway run was 22mpg.

I missed that statement last night with my fried eyes. Your buddies fuel milage numbers are possible. I average 18 - 19 and set a personal record of 22.13 yesterday running down the highway at about 62 - 63 avg.

My old 65 gets 12 and she has a built 390 in her now.
he was riding my butt so I burried the pedal and left him.
he grabed a gear and was willing to blow her up to try and catch me but said I just kept pulling away
91 F350 4x, 7.3L.,E40D,ATS Turbo, 4"SkyJacker,35"BFG Mudders, Humpback light 12, Model 70 300WM, Glock 17-9, Various Ugly Sticks
65 Ford F100 4x4 (original owner was my dad)
76 Jeep Wagoneer with 428CJ and tri power
41 Ford Military Jeep with chevy 4 banger
?? Willys flat fender puller. 427medium riser with 428 crank=455cu in and dyno at 605hp

A Turboed IDI, a built 390 in the '65, a 428 CJ w/ tripower in a wagoneer and a flat fender Willy's with 605 HP 455

Son, from some of your statements and the vehicles you own it sounds like you like that power a little too much and I hate to be the bearer of bad news but until you get out of the pedal and drive it like grandma you'll never get good fuel economy.

Magoo

Blind Brain Surgeon
Reaction score
Tonkadoctor, Ok. Guilty as charged. However, I drive like a grandma. Most of my toys are for off road slow go and the puller may top out at 30mph. But she saw 200 feet many times :hail :hail . Any way, I built a 79 crew cab years ago with a 5 speed and 7.3 na. She got great mileage. 22 was best recorded. Hoped to get better than 12 and yesterday was the first time I open her up. Hell it the first time I saw smoke come out the pipe. :Sly . I guess I am a bottom end power guy. Thats why I like diesels. Plus they run in the vertical position. ;Sweet

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to wonder if your timing is off or something else is not quite right in the fuel system or turbo if it's acting like a dog down low.

Diesels are extreemly sensitive to timing adjustments for both power and economy.

You may want to contact the transmission shop too to find out how high of a stall that converter has. What kind of RPM is it going up to before taking off.

I can't help much in the automatic tranny department as I gennerally shy away from them. Seems every time I get a vehicle with an auto it craps out on me.