Whats the cheaper rout, zf or nv4500, or ranger overdrive?

dieselman29200

Pa. Oil Burner
Reaction score
Been looking at my options for a transmission upgrade from a T19 4spd. Looked at the ranger overdrive, the nv4500 conversion, and the ZF. It looks like I will have to alter the drive shafts no matter what route i take, but of course I am looking at the most cost affective option and the one that requires the least modifications to the truck. Any help is appreciated.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe not the best, but the cheapest would be the zf if you get a donor truck. By the time you sell off the rest of the truck, it makes it the cheapest. No driveshaft work necessary, since you will already have the proper driveshafts from the donor. The only cost above the initial donor cost will be the clutch/flywheel or clutch if you bolt the old flywheel together.

Last edited:

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never seen a Ranger tranny on these IDI's, so I don't know how easy that would be to covert, nor do I know about the price. The NV4500 will be a bit pricey as well. HERE IS A COVERSION KIT. It is $3349 plus shipping, plus you'll need to pay for the driveshafts to be moddified.

As stated above, the easiest, and likely the cheapest would be the ZF5, but if you've got the cash, the NV4500 would be a nice tranny behind the IDI.

Heath

RustyBolts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ranger Overdrives cost anywhere between $1,000 and 1,800 depending on where you get it from. downside there is 2 sticks, and cutting floor holes. upside is you get double the amount of forward and reverse gears. I plan on eventually putting one in my 1980 F-350.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I've never seen a Ranger tranny on these IDI's, so I don't know how easy that would be to covert, nor do I know about the price. The NV4500 will be a bit pricey as well. HERE IS A COVERSION KIT. It is $3349 plus shipping, plus you'll need to pay for the driveshafts to be moddified.

As stated above, the easiest, and likely the cheapest would be the ZF5, but if you've got the cash, the NV4500 would be a nice tranny behind the IDI.

Heath

I think Ziggster had one on his...it goes between the bell housing and the transmission IIRC.

dieselman29200

Pa. Oil Burner
Reaction score
Well, I am hoping that I could find a transmission locally and buy the nessesary parts from a supplier to make it all work. From what i found out is that to use the nv4500, I will need an adapter plate from the bell housing to the nv4500, and then another adapter plate to bolt up my transfer case. A compatible clutch kit, and a new cross member. Not to mention that I will need to shorten and lengthen my driveshafts. I am leaning tward the ZF if I can use my solid flywheel that I have now. wont need any adapter plates. I do like the idea of buying a doner truck, but whats the chances of finding one?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do like the idea of buying a doner truck, but whats the chances of finding one?

Have patience and you do not necessarily have to buy a wrecked or non-running truck. If you don't mind the work, you can get a running truck, and put your old stuff in it and then sell it. I doubt you will make any money, especially if you count your labor, but probably won't have much in the zf.

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say the ZF since they came in these trucks and require no special aftermarket parts. If you keep an eye out, you could get a Gear Vendor or US Gear unit used.
Travis..

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW, if your truck's a 4x4, you shouldn't need to do any driveshaft modifications. My T-19 (including the bellhousing) and my ZF were/are exactly the same length. With that said, I know that a 2WD C6 and ZF are different lengths, and you also have to deal with different yoke sizes.

My vote goes to the ZF; it'll require the fewest modifications. Putting a Ranger in shouldn't be TOO hard, but as others have said, you'll have to modify some things, including the driveshaft lengths. An NV4500 wouldn't be impossible, but you'd have your work cut out for you...

dieselman29200

Pa. Oil Burner
Reaction score
Well if the trans I have now (T19) is the same length as the ZF, that will definitly make things easier. Does anyone know if the solid mass flywheel from the T19 will work with the ZF? I found what sounds like a clutch package that would allow me to use my solid flywheel. If it all comes together that way, Ill definitly go ZF.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well if the trans I have now (T19) is the same length as the ZF, that will definitly make things easier. Does anyone know if the solid mass flywheel from the T19 will work with the ZF? I found what sounds like a clutch package that would allow me to use my solid flywheel. If it all comes together that way, Ill definitly go ZF.

If I remember correctly, the t19 stuff won't work because the zf setup has a different depth bellhousing. I think the zf flywheel sticks out farther from the engine than the t19 flywheel does. That's why you have to pay so much money for the smf conversion kits, they have a custom flywheel in the kit.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, the t19 stuff won't work because the zf setup has a different depth bellhousing. I think the zf flywheel sticks out farther from the engine than the t19 flywheel does. That's why you have to pay so much money for the smf conversion kits, they have a custom flywheel in the kit.
That's correct. IIRC someone decided to try a T-19 flywheel and made it work, but I wouldn't feel comfortable with it...IMHO you're better off going with the stuff meant for the ZF. The ZF flywheel is about double the thickness of the T-19 flywheel.

As to the SMF vs DMF debate, there have been a number of threads on that subject....some people prefer the DMF as-is, some people prefer the Lucky Mod, and some people prefer a SMF. Each have their benefits and detractions...

dieselman29200

Pa. Oil Burner
Reaction score
Advanced adapters has the ranger overdrive unit for my application. The thought of having a low and a high in all 4 gears is appealing as well. Been thinking that if im gonna shell out that much dough, It would be nice to have 4 extra gears than just the one for overdrive.