Whats the best trans fluid for ZF5?

boggerted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im rebuilding my ZF5 this week with all new syncros, seals, and bearings. Whats the best oil to use in my trans?

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I used royal purple ATF in my last ZF. I'm not sure whats in my current ZF, but I should probably change it.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Zf now says to use synthetic ATF if towing. Regular ATF per spec is 20wt don't use the new 10 wt types. Personally I run a 30 wt synthetic atf and it likes it a lot ( I just did it so I could standardize fluids between my transmissions, but it worked out very nicely )

boggerted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the input. Also, should I treat it like braking in a new engine and change it after so many miles so it breaks in?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If going to run a quick break in batch, some universal tractor hydraulic transmission fluid from Tractor Supply or similar is a good choice for a quick clean out if you are concerned about getting debris out of the box before putting some high dollar fluid in.

A37782X

Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Is Mercon V any good?
Motorcraft Mercon V is synthetic anyway. Going to RedLine MTL from that made no difference on mine, it's is just as hard to shift when cold and sort of notchy on 2-3 when warm. It's ok for the summer now.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Motorcraft Mercon V is synthetic anyway. Going to RedLine MTL from that made no difference on mine, it's is just as hard to shift when cold and sort of notchy on 2-3 when warm. It's ok for the summer now.

Sounds like you need a different synthetic. I run the Amsoil CTJ 30 wt synthetic ATF in mine , and it made a massive improvement in cold shifting over regular atf. No more grinding the first few miles, even in sub zero temps

A37782X

Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Sounds like you need a different synthetic. I run the Amsoil CTJ 30 wt synthetic ATF in mine , and it made a massive improvement in cold shifting over regular atf. No more grinding the first few miles, even in sub zero temps
ok, maybe i'll try that next. Was the regular atf you're referring to synthetic?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online