what's missing

pwrfool

Reaction score
On the passenger side (7.3) there is only 1 wire and 2 connectors, should this have a cap on it? I can here the vacuum bleed of on shut down. If I put my finger over the open port the fast idle picks up slowly. If I bypass it the fast idle kicks in immediately?
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is that the vacuum line that goes to the transmission shift modulator? It is in the rear of the engine and I know on the C6 there is vacuum line that goes to the modulator. That would be my guess.

pwrfool

Reaction score
I'm not sure what it is. It def effects the fast idle. The vacuum line does go to the modulator at the rear of the head.

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have an automatic? I am not sure about the E4OD but the C6 has a modulator on the back of the transmission that a vacuum line goes to. If it is not connected it will usually have hard shifts.

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what it is. It def effects the fast idle. The vacuum line does go to the modulator at the rear of the head.

That is definitely not an oem part, looks like a solenoid valve... The c6 modulator valve is on the bottom back of the tranny so it can't be that, can you post some more clear pictures of where the line go to and from it and what they are connected to?

pwrfool

Reaction score
I can take more pictures tonight. One vacuum line goes to the main one right above it. The other goes back to a solenoid that is connected to the throttle linkage. The one wire goes to the battery negative terminal. If I cover the open port the idle speeds up slowly. If I bypass it and connect the two lines together the idle is higher. This is in my old ambulance. If is not a normal oem part, possibly a high idle solenoid?

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Def. aftermarket (or at least ambulance/fleet only). The E in E4OD is Electronic. It does not use vacuum. Neither does the IP, for normal operation.

My WAG is that it's indeed an aftermarket fast idle controller. I could imagine with an ambulance, you might want the option to boost the idle while stopped at a scene, to spin the alternator faster to run additional lights and life support equipment. It could have been connected to a control in the cab, or somehow directly controlled by the equipment that would require it.

The PSDs have an option for an electronic version of this, that works via the PCM.

pwrfool

Reaction score
Thanks! I do believe that's what it is. I guess I will put power to the open terminal and see if that is how it works. Covering the open port does build up the idle speed.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A picture of your IP would probably tell a lot. It's not cruise control related is it? Maybe it is a fast idle that works similarly?:dunno

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ambulances have a hi idle on some of them, it kicks in when the A/C is on, speeds up the idle slowly so as not to tear up the drive belts.

pwrfool

Reaction score
Thank you! I drive a rollback from time to time too and it builds up slowly like that too. Haven't gotten out for more pics it is apparently monsoon season around here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle