What's a good aftermarket gauge cluster?

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
Disclaimer: must have money.

Isspros are great gauges, but aren't cheap. I'd guess there's 1000 bucks in just gauges shown there.
Yeah, you are probably right. I have seen some of those prices and it's crazy. I won't be spending anywhere near that much.

Rock

Farmer Rock

Reaction score

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I came across those clusters, and would buy one, but I just wish they made them for bricknose trucks-cuss

Yea its for a bull not brick/obs, it is a decent price for a kit so would think it is not a bad starting for a custom install. Thinking rip the brick/obs cluster bezel apart and make a black plastic adapter plate to go between the two, could also graft a bull and brick/obs bezel together. It would take some thinking outside the box but think could be done,

nitroguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I might be way off base here, but something to investigate further - do Bricknose and OBS era trucks utilize the same instrument cluster setup? I seem to recall they may be interchangeable, but it's been so long since I've had an OBS I can't remember what it looked like.

That might explain why there's "no" bricknose instrument clusters too - they're all marketed as OBS as those seem to be the more popular out of the two generations.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did a custom cluster on a 77 f150 several years back. It was a low budget affair similar to what @IDIoit did, except I kept the original speedometer module. If you can find a way to arrange it while reusing the speedometer and tach, you could do it a lot cheaper. But, like other have said you’ll have to get pretty crafty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
With a speedometer that goes to 255 MPH and a tach that goes to 9900 RPM, I don't think that my truck is modified quite enough for one of these. Nor will it ever be.:joker:
Lol
I thought the same when I was looking at universal gauges. They all went over 9k rpm and 200mph. I won't even need half that range :Thumbs Up:peelout

Rock

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Lol
I thought the same when I was looking at universal gauges. They all went over 9k rpm and 200mph. I won't even need half that range :Thumbs Up:peelout

Rock
It is kind of crazy. I'll bet that at least 98% of the vehicles on the road won't do 200 MPH and their engines won't turn close to 9000 RPM. It must be some kind of "standard" that I can't understand.

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
I did a custom cluster on a 77 f150 several years back. It was a low budget affair similar to what @IDIoit did, except I kept the original speedometer module. If you can find a way to arrange it while reusing the speedometer and tach, you could do it a lot cheaper. But, like other have said you’ll have to get pretty crafty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am definetly not wanting to spend a bunch of money, and I will just be happy if everything looks clean and reads accurately. I would like to use the existing speedometer and tach if possible at this point.

Rock

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With a speedometer that goes to 255 MPH and a tach that goes to 9900 RPM, I don't think that my truck is modified quite enough for one of these. Nor will it ever be.:joker:

That is the fine details, is this like a torque wrench where the bottom 1/4 of the scale is unlisted and inaccurate? I think could build something that could get close to that on a salt flat run, have a e36 and a under/onverdrive 6 speed just need a m62 v8. It will do 100 easy on a underdirve 5 speed with 3.46 gears, switch to 2.96 gears and add a overdrive to that spread would be insane. This 6 speed is for a far future swap since is for the m62 v8, got it on a wim to change bell for the m50 I6 but dont need to go that fast.

Fision

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the gauges themselves you might look at Hewitt Industries. According to their website The company started in 1955, making gauges in the USA, and still make everything right here. They claim to be the originators of EGT gauges. Their thermocouples have a lifetime warranty.
They do seem to be the best bang per $. And very few complaints that I could find.
I’m running them in my sig IH 4900, and will have them in my OBS when it’s ready to roll. I bought a glow shift column pod for housing them.
I like their classic look- I feel like I’m driving a machine, not playing a video game.