What's a 6.9 or 7.3 N.A. core worth?

onetonjohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are a couple dead trucks in our local wrecking yard. With all the P-pump talk I thought it might be worth rescuing them and having a backup to play with. What's a fair price for idi motor (non-turbo) in unknown condition?

carsonlhammond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
300-500 bucks, sometimes less, all day long around me in central Cali. Of course if they’re in a junk yard it’s never a bad idea to bring along a set of batteries, spare starter and a compression tester. I’ve done this to several to determine if there’s a chance they’re worth my time or not.

Last edited:

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen anywhere from 100-300 depending on condition and what is all included. Those are all 7.3 engines at salvage auctions, some even had transmissions with them. I saw on marketplace a while back where a guy wanted 500 for a 6.9. That's too much from a private seller imo. If they give some sort of warranty, the value would go up.

John Lahore

Reaction score
I have a 7.3 from my 90' truck with 190K on it on a shelf, ran fine but had a head gasket leak, oil into coolant.
Just got a recent rebuilt from a yard and changed it out.
Love to get rid of it, but not sure if I should keep the pump or heads or part it out or scrap it?
Any feedback?