What year for hot roding

nathan79

Reaction score
Me and my dad are planning on purchasing a project truck. I think it will be a 12-valve cummins. What year of Dodge has the most potential with power upgrades. We are planning on 600+ rwhp. We don't even have a truck yet so any pointer would be helpful, like should we go with auto or manual tranny? Is one year of truck better for any reason. What am I looking at spending to get to 600, 700, 800 hp? I have a 97 Powerstroke and I know what it takes to get to 400 hp and its an expensive and long road. I have heard its much cheaper with a dodge. Let me know, and thank you for your help.

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My impression after paying attention to diesel pickups for the past few years is that the 12V would be your best bet.

Besides, the purchase price would likely be less than a newer truck.

rubberfish

Reaction score
nathan79 said:
12-valve cummins. What year of Dodge has the most potential with power upgrades. We are planning on 600+ rwhp.
'97 5spd would be your best bet. Has the best pump.
Although, a '98 12v auto quad cab is nice too. :thumbsup:
Even I would own one of those. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
****, I can't belive I said that out loud. :eek: LOL

CGriffith

Town Drunk
Reaction score
96-98 12 valves with manual trans all have the 215hp pump. If you find an earlier year for cheap you can upgrade the pump to keep up with your other mods. Try http://www.dieseldynamics.com/ truck configurator for an idea of what one company thinks it will cost to make a given HP.

fatcat

Reaction score
CGriffith said:
96-98 12 valves with manual trans all have the 215hp pump. If you find an earlier year for cheap you can upgrade the pump to keep up with your other mods. Try http://www.dieseldynamics.com/ truck configurator for an idea of what one company thinks it will cost to make a given HP.

I'll 2nd that comment. These were the best years for the 12V trucks. But one thing to look out for in the '98s is if the engine is a #53 block which is prone to cracking.

1 Broke Dad

Reaction score
fatcat said:
I'll 2nd that comment. These were the best years for the 12V trucks. But one thing to look out for in the '98s is if the engine is a #53 block which is prone to cracking.

Where do you look on the block for this #?

CGriffith

Town Drunk
Reaction score
1 Broke Dad said:
Where do you look on the block for this #?
Under the injection pump on the left side. Just above the pan line. Numbers are maybe an inch tall. Hard to miss. Don't freak if you have a #53 many guys have put many miles on them with no problems. Only a few have problems, which show up faster with more HP.

addicted

Reaction score

So you are saying if you can find a 93 12V that upgrading the pump and injectors along with intercooler would make it the same engine as the 94-98's.

Thank you

Swamp Donkey

Reaction score
Nope, the 96 - 98 manual transmission trucks had the 215 pumps. That is the one you want. There is a 913 pump as well that you could look for if you get a 94 - 98 12v. I don't think it would be cost effective to get the 89 - 93 style.

rubberfish

Reaction score
I'm sorry, I don't understand whether you're asking,
what is a valet kit,,,, or what is "my" valet kit.
"mine" is one I made up because I was too cheap
to pay a lot of money for one I could build for
much less and works the same as a "store bought".
All they are is a solenoid and a switch and some wire.
Oh,,,and a little bit of tubing, and a tie strap thingy.

dieselwiezil

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea i was asking about "your valet kit" Does its just cut fuel back to de-rate the engine? I maybe TOTALLY off...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online