What would you do

Diesel8873ne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So guys just looking for some insight. I currently have a 88 f250hd ext cab 2wd still NA. I have the opportunity to pick up a 92 4x4 single cab f350 with a banks sidewinder on it also both trucks have zf5.

So my question is assuming i can pick up the 92 for about 1k would you guys do it. Its for parts even though it does run and drive and was on the road till just recently.

I wanted to put a turbo on my Truck eventually and a 4x4 swap would just be a bonus.

Also forgot to say that the 88 is ext.cab andthe 92is single cab, only thing missing in the 92 is the front driveshaft.

So again the question is would you guys do it,what would you pay, is there anything that won't swap over? Also is there anything i should know about the banks kit.

Thanks for any help

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
sounds like a good deal, you can't buy the parts to do all of that separately for that price. now you have an intact vehicle to pull the parts from and sell the rest.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The turbo kit OR the front axle are worth 800+ each. Do it before someone beats you to it.

Diesel8873ne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay so an update as i type this i am at the guys house and waiting for him and have looked the truck over pretty well.

First off its a 250 not 350 so it has the ttb :(. On the plus side the banks seems all there and that is what i really wanted oit of this thing, plus some odds and ends things.

Looks like the 7.3 has seen better days has a milkshake on the dipstick so not sure if headgasket or oil cooler. Good thing i dont really need the engine.

Im gonna try and get the truck 1k or less see how it goes.

I was hoping someone might tell me anything important i should know about the banks setup. There is something on the side of the injection pump im not familiar with 3 wires going to it figured it was for the banks somehow. If so not sure how i wire it into my truck.

Ive never taken on such a big project i have pulled engines before but for some reason this seems a bit intimidating.

Sorry for the lengthy post been sitting here for well over a hour now. Getting ansy. Thanks again all

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well personally the way you're describing it I would offer $700 and not pay more than $800. The engine might not be any good and TTB isn't overly desirable. It will get you transmission and transfer case but you're better off getting a 350 for the d60. Depends on how bad you want it.

Three wire plug on the IP... Might have been automatic before and converted to a manual?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Three wire plug on the IP... Might have been automatic before and converted to a manual?
That's what I was thinking too. Maybe the IP was swapped off of an automatic truck? Is this thing actually plugged into anything?

Diesel8873ne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay so update i bought it. Paid 800 for it wich im happy with, i pick it up and make payment saturday.
Another question, im not sure the axle code for the rear yet forgot to check but if its a limited slip can i swap just the gears into my axle housing? I hate my open diff in the winter.

That's what I was thinking too. Maybe the IP was swapped off of an automatic truck? Is this thing actually plugged into anything?

Regarding the 3 wire plug i only looked at it so much but it goes into the harness that the alt wires go into and then i think it goes to those grey plug looking things under the solenoid on the pass fender. There is also a motorcraft "regulator" under the solenoid i dont think i have that on my truck.

So there is no way that plug on the driver side of ip goes to the banks setup?

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the gears are the same just swap the whole rear. Much less work than swapping just the gears.

As for the IP I'm going to guess no, nothing to do with the turbo but I could be wrong. I can't see why it would be needed though...

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you get it post up some pics. It will be easier to come up with a answer that way.

Diesel8873ne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you get it post up some pics. It will be easier to come up with a answer that way.
Will do.

Thanks everyone with the guidance so far. Like i said before im a bit nervous but i am confident that with the help of the knowledge here ill get through it. Bery thankful for this community.

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will do.

Thanks everyone with the guidance so far. Like i said before im a bit nervous but i am confident that with the help of the knowledge here ill get through it. Bery thankful for this community.

Sounds like you've got a good mechanical handle on things so a turbo install won't be that hard. Sounds like everything is already there so you can take some notes while you pull it off and start swapping it over. You will need to find a manual for the turbo so you can have the specs for turning up the IP but you can download it from banks's web site, that's where I found one for mine so I could get part numbers.

If you do the 4wd swap there are plenty of members here that have done it so plenty of support here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel