What update/upgrades available for 7.3 transmission cooler

fraree

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm down in Australia & looking for information on an upgrade for the wallet size standard transmission cooler. Any help will be appreciated.

RossCo

Reaction score
When rebuilt my trans 2 years ago I also had a very small (wallet) size cooler. I assume it was stock. I simply looked up after market trans coolers on line. I found a new one one Ebay that a guy bought and never used. I had to adapt a few things but, it was all pretty straightforward. I guess in my mind anything is an upgrade from the little one.

RossCo

Reaction score
Almost forgot if I would change anything about my cooler install. I would and will (at some point) add a bypass valve to skip the radiator and go directly to the cooler. Going through the radiator then cooler is great in the winter to help get the trans up to temp but, in the summer only adds unwanted heat to the system as I see it.

fraree

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip RossCo, one thing we don't need is any extra heat when towing out here ! 43c yesterday, cooler here today only mid 30's (95F) Been looking on Evilbuy & there's so many variations. Had trans rebuilt in 2014, $8500, with a lockup convertor plenty of billet parts replaced the original low grade plastic crap, galleries were machined to stop bypass.

fraree

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bought an Autometer trans temp gauge from "Lords" in Vancouver when we visited back in 2011. Must be time to fit it now too. Parts over here are astronomically priced by comparison to the states & Canada

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Almost forgot if I would change anything about my cooler install. I would and will (at some point) add a bypass valve to skip the radiator and go directly to the cooler. Going through the radiator then cooler is great in the winter to help get the trans up to temp but, in the summer only adds unwanted heat to the system as I see it.

You have this backwards. First the radiator never heats the tranny fluid. It cools the fluid.even in extreme cold the tranny will heat up faster than the radiator. Remember O/W coolers are the most efficient type of cooler. This is why it is a primary cooler and never should be bypassed.

Now the aux cooler should have a thermal bypass for extreme cold.

fraree

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes you're correct,;) remembering reco'ing my radiator in my '70 chrysler with the trans cooler in the bottom tank.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have this backwards. First the radiator never heats the tranny fluid. It cools the fluid.even in extreme cold the tranny will heat up faster than the radiator. Remember O/W coolers are the most efficient type of cooler. This is why it is a primary cooler and never should be bypassed.

Can you expand on this? All my e4 and 4r trucks do the opposite, the trans heats up much after the engine. I’ve also got a customer truck here with a transdapt deep pan and that truck will take half an hour to heat up the trans.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Can you expand on this? All my e4 and 4r trucks do the opposite, the trans heats up much after the engine. I’ve also got a customer truck here with a transdapt deep pan and that truck will take half an hour to heat up the trans.
How many of them are you actually watching both temps? For all that goes all 3? (coolant, oil, trans)
In the 03 6.0, trans temp is always first to come up.
That deep pan does nothing for "performance." Nor cooler temps. Takes longer to heat up, as well as longer to cool off.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How many of them are you actually watching both temps? For all that goes all 3? (coolant, oil, trans)
In the 03 6.0, trans temp is always first to come up.
That deep pan does nothing for "performance." Nor cooler temps. Takes longer to heat up, as well as longer to cool off.

All of them I have coolant and trans temp reading at the same time, in the 6.0 trans always warmed up before the engine after the delete till it burned down. The deep pan is on a customer truck not mine, we put it on mostly so it had a drain and for the built in cooler. I’m not sold on aftermarket trans pans either, just like aftermarket diff covers I really don’t think they do much for performance or cooling.

RossCo

Reaction score

I respectfully disagree, in the case of a 6.9idi. Now it's entirely possible this may differ from the 7.3 power stroke.
I personally have ran my truck 6.9idi w/C6 with trans temp gauge so I can say with the the utmost certainty what the trans temp is while running in all weather conditions (hot or cold).
You can't possibly be trying to tell me that when I run my truck to work on these 28° mornings and my trans doesn't even make it to 100° yet my truck is running almost op. Temp that my trans doesn't pull in some heat from the hotter coolant surrounding it in the radiator. Simply due to heat transference law.
This also works the opposite on hot days say 100°. As my truck runs hotter (coolant temp) my trans temp also increases. The Aux. Cooler is contusionsly having to overcome the coolant temp. Even if the the aux cooler is effective enough to cool the trans fluid and over come the trans heat build up. The radiator will heat the trans fluid again before it passes through the aux. Cooler.
All this is not to say that a O/W cooling system is not more efficient. That most definitely is true. Your radiator is simply more directly designed to keep you engine cooling as opposed to your trans.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
All of them I have coolant and trans temp reading at the same time, in the 6.0 trans always warmed up before the engine after the delete till it burned down. The deep pan is on a customer truck not mine, we put it on mostly so it had a drain and for the built in cooler. I’m not sold on aftermarket trans pans either, just like aftermarket diff covers I really don’t think they do much for performance or cooling.
I'm not sure. I just know what I see on a daily basis. Lol
But I would say can't compare the 5r to the 4r/e4.

red41neck

Reaction score
2001 F250 SD 7.3 4x4, replaced original cooler with one from a 6.0 engine. Easy swap. If I remember right you will need to
find a hose nipple 3/8 x 1/4 to finish connection.

Last edited:

Dragrace504

Reaction score
I just had my tranny rebuilt last year with all the upgrades my tranny builder recommended a larger cooler I just got one from local auto part store it's for an RV. I have tranny temp gauge it stays cool I tow with it and drive truck every day.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Also to throw it out there, on the 6.0 it goes through the radiator cooler, then a seperate huge air cooler in front of the radiator, back to trans.
But.... the cooler is thermostat controlled. Below 165°F the coolers are not used. Only 10% bypass to the cooler.
So that will for sure explain why the 5r heats up faster.
I would assume you could do similar on the 4r/e4, if so inclined.