WHAT TURBO IS STOCK?

sootman73

Reaction score
i'm looking for the stock turbo part number. i've heard T03 so far but thats a really small turbo. the ford part number will do no good as i already have that. really if anyone has a link to the turbo map for the factory turbo that would be even better!

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Ford/ATS turbo most definitely is a T03 on the exhaust side, not sure about the compressor, but, it's not an overly big turbo by any means.

sootman73

Reaction score
the exhuast side doesn't matter for what i need. its the compressor side that is most important. the T03 is meant for like a 1.8-3.0l engine if you do a google search.....

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
That's what I was saying in Your other post. The engineers that designed these systems left no room for future upgrading.

The good thing is that a T3 is easily upgradeable. Plenty of shops have the tooling to bore the compressor housing to accept a T60 compressor wheel. There are Ball Bearing Housings out there for the T3. Most, if not all, of the bearing units are water, and oil cooled.

So again, (as with most modifications) Your wallet, is the only limiting factor involved.

sootman73

Reaction score
what i'm asking is what the trim of the turbo is stock. there are hundreds of combinations of t3 turbos out there.

i want a map of this turbo to compare to the T61 i already have picked out. A T61 is the best matched turbo i've found so far and they are about $500 on ebay new. i'll prob buy it in a couple months and throw it on and see what happens. problem is i'm gonna need a moose pump to match the fuel..... so theres $1500.....

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The factory turbo is a T3/T04B hybrid- that is, a T3 hot side and T04B hot side. Have been told it's an H trim.

The thing that sucks about these turbos is that the T04B cold side actually leaves little room for upgrades. A 60-1 wheel upgrade has been used by a few people here, but IMO it's a poor fit for these engines.

Ideally you would upgrade to a T04E cold side, then you could run something like a 60 trim impeller which I personally think would be just about perfect for one of these engines at 12-15 psi. I just don't know how well that big of an impeller would work with the T3 exhaust side.

I personally have wondered how a T04E, with a 60 trim wheel and an O-trim exhaust wheel would work on one of these engines, but I don't have the money to try it out.

sootman73

Reaction score
yea thats what i figured too that a T61 with a 60 trim would fit much better than a 60-1 upgrade. i plan on changing turbos this summer(or after my cash reserves are back up from moving)

i found a few on ebay for $500 new. they have a/r ratios of .5 cold and .63 hot. have you thought of what you would want in a/r ratios?

do you know what the a/r is for the hot side of the factory turbo?

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind that a T61 and a 60 trim are VERY different compressors.

I don't know if you would be as happy with a T61, that's a BIG compressor and it looks like it would be happier at boost levels you can't really run on a mostly stock IDI. I can't remember the formula right now for calculating lbs/min of airflow, but I know I looked awhile back and in the 12-15 PSI range the 60 trim seemed ideal (if my other figures were mostly correct).

The factory hot side a/r is .82 (T3 Stage III) and you would not want to go smaller than that, because it would probably become a restriction especially with a larger compressor wheel. One advantage there is anything you buy with a Stage III wheel on it would bolt right up to your factory housing.

sootman73

Reaction score
well a guy at work did all the calcs lb/min and the T61 matched the best at 15-20lbs. which is what i want cuz if i decide to do all the work to change turbos i'm gonna stud the heads and intake and do all that. i'm starting to contemplate if its worth the effort on an idi though. it would be cool to have a high powered idi but when my buddy buys a duramax there wont be anyway to keep up with him....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JFMac

Members online