What To Do With Old Radiator?

WhiskeyBottle2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Greetings everyone...Anybody know what we can do with our old radiators? Can they be sold as scrap or to a radiator shop? Just curious as to what everybody does with their old one. I was hoping maybe it can make a little money...

Suggestions?

Reaction score
I've heard of guys yanking the tanks off and taking the cores down to the scrap metal yard. Allegedly they're good for $40-$75 (copper and brass have a premium right now). Mine's still sitting in the garage. Gotta decide what I want to do with it. Too lazy to tear it apart. Probably just toss it in the dump on the next run.

Mike

WhiskeyBottle2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tanks

I've heard of guys yanking the tanks off and taking the cores down to the scrap metal yard. Allegedly they're good for $40-$75 (copper and brass have a premium right now). Mine's still sitting in the garage. Gotta decide what I want to do with it. Too lazy to tear it apart. Probably just toss it in the dump on the next run.

Mike

Why take the tanks off? If plastic, yeah...Mine are metal...copper I guess...Even so, do the tanks still have to come off?

Thanks

Thefarmboy21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Scrap it or sell it! New ones are like $300 I think???

Tanks are usually brass and fins copper on old radiators. Brings more money with the tanks off. But worth the effort and gas money to haul it to scrap. They bring good money around here and if it's a diesel radiator, they are heavy!

Thefarmboy21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put it on Craigslist at least....someone will buy it or trade around with you or atleast come get it......but people want all sorts of "junk" for one reason or another.

WhiskeyBottle2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Diesel Radiator

Scrap it or sell it! New ones are like $300 I think???

Tanks are usually brass and fins copper on old radiators. Brings more money with the tanks off. But worth the effort and gas money to haul it to scrap. They bring good money around here and if it's a diesel radiator, they are heavy!

Well it's the big 6.9 radiator...the original...I have a torch so if taking the tanks off gets more money I wii do it...

73idi88f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it's the big 6.9 radiator...the original...I have a torch so if taking the tanks off gets more money I wii do it...
i manage a scrap yard
you dont have to take the tanks off but you need to make sure its very clean, i know my yard picks about little bits of steel if its an auto most automatic rads have steel coolers in them.. i think ours are brass if they have one.. but the steel that connects them to the tank makes the rad drity.. once mine was clean i made 70 bucks on mine at 2.10 a lb

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just sold three rads...165 bucks total at local scrap metal yard....YA...helped pay for new Champion!!!!!!

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I heard these rads can be rebuilt. Might be nice to have a rebuilt spare around if new ones are around $300.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We scrap Rads all the time. you must remove any magnetic metal. Screws, sidestraps etc. Right now Copper rads are going for $1.63/lb. If you leave the metal on they consider it contaminated and only pay $.04 lb.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For me to recore, my copper brass tall narrow rad $1000.00 New Champion $239.00 you tell me what to do with the old rads...50 bucks+ each!

I say toss em...scrap makes ya cash back

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got $150 for two old radiators, without cutting them up at all. Could have gotten more probably if I had, but anything beats taking them to the dump. If its a good radiator, of course, someone on Craigslist might give $100-200.

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do like I did and leave it in your driveway so some scumbag can steal it and scrap it. I hope he gets some tainted smack with his proceeds

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US

Members online