What temp sensor

haubert

Reaction score
I installed a coolant temp sensor. I thought the sensor on the driver side front head is for guage. Installed probe hooked up guage and my in dash guage still works. Did I remove the wrong sensor or will the computer sensor reads to guage also

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

haubert

Reaction score
What i was trying to say i installing a coolant temp guage what's the location for guage sending unit and computer sending unit

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The front drivers side one on the outer part of the head it the "it's too late anyway" one. It's the over temp switch for 245*

haubert

Reaction score
Ok thanks that's the sensor I removed to install guage it's a single wire. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't the temp sensor for computer

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
We have no computers that sees any temps on our idi engines. That large sender you removed from the head is the over temp sender. Its purpose is to peg the dash gauge at 242 degrees. To test it just ground the wire that is has. No matter what temp the engine is the dash gauge will swing way past the L in normal. Now the sender that actually sees coolant temp and makes the dash gauge run is the small sender just to the drivers side of the injection pump housing gear cover. Its a much smaller sender than the over temp sender.. The head will show a slightly higher temp on the new gauge. The coolant flows under the injection pump thru a blend path. Then it sees the coolant from the other side head just before it goes thru the thermostat.

Reaction score
uhm........what computer? One sensor is for the gauge in your dash, the other is for the 'overtemp' light. Sounds like you plugged into the 'overtemp' sensor port, which is what most of us do.

Mike

haubert

Reaction score
Ok thanks for the schooling my truck is a 93 just assumed being to sensors one was for computer like a gasser thanks