what should i do with an 7.3 turbo with 98k miles ??????

Beads 93 idi

Brads 93 idi
Reaction score
I recently bought a 94 ford c&c 4x4 for the transmission and the motor now that I have every thing pulled out of the truck I'm going to go ahead and put the trans in my truck but I'm having mixed feelings about what to do to this low mileage motor I don't know if to go ahead while its out beef it up or to put it in place of the motor I'm running now and rebuild the 300k mile motor .... I know if I go ahead and swap motors the ip and injectors are comin off the motor that's in my truck now since I believe the pump has been tweaked before I got it ..... Any advice would be nice cause I don't know where to start

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
98k mile engine = RUN IT ! :D

Depending on how it was maintained/treated/flogged... the low mile engine should be ok. Just make sure and keep up on the SCA's, and you should be good to go...

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what did the truck previously do for a living? low miles usually = high idle times.
most of my in-city towtrucks get about 150k on the odo before the rings are washed out from idling.
metro trucks with low miles scare me as to construction trucks with motors covered in dust/dirt.
best donor trucks are pavement princesses with moderate mileage and evidence of routine care.

Beads 93 idi

Brads 93 idi
Reaction score
Truck was bought new to be used to haul a trailer and do stuff on the farm ..... I don't think it was ran much cause the valve covers are barely leaking oil and the compression is good I guess when it fired up on the second crank with no glow plugs on 4 year old diesel

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Although I totally agree with towcat's assessment, I'd swap it now for a DD, then rebuild the original to your liking. I think this engine will run for a few more years no problem. Plenty of time to stretch out the cost of a rebuild.... just don't get caught up in the:"I ain't got time" excuse while living grand on the engine swap.

Take your time building the original, balance crank, pistons, valves, turbo, fuel system upgrades to Moosies and Typd4 cams or whatever.

BTW- I may have found a 7.3 marine with turbo on it!!

If I get it for the $500.00 I think I could get it for, I'll have larger injectors, pump adjust and possibly a bigger cam! All I gotta do is yank the exhaust. Of course, since it's out, I'll do all the stuff I recommended to you. Perfect time for oil coolers, oil pan gaskets, heads and intakes, etc.!

What ever you do, you still have two engines which makes for great possibilities.

Beads 93 idi

Brads 93 idi
Reaction score
Yeah that's what I was thinkin since my original has so many miles on it just go ahead and do a complete rebuild on it maybe re sleeve it and stud it and everything else Idk of ill spend the money for a moose but I found a local guy who does some really good work on injectors and pumps plus I might use the motor for a project while I'm in college for diesel tech

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajuka