What kind of temps

KevSrFord

Reaction score
After 3 tries I finally got a working pyrometer (yes I tried 2 cheapos before finally buying a max tow).

My question is what kind of EGT should my 6.9 be doing without a load on it? To me it seems awfully low cause I'm idling at around 200 and at 55mph it's not going over 600. I mounted the probe just below the exhaust manifold in the pipe. I figured I might read a little low there but this seems way to low.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
From what I remember, it should be around 600 going down the highway empty. I was thinking 300 at idle. Since it's been a long time since I did much with a pyro (other than mine which now only works when it wants to), someone may correct me.

KevSrFord

Reaction score
Ok so it sounds like I'm in the ballpark then. I was just worried it was not reading correctly because I didn't go directly into the manifold.

Dane Rickford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mone idles at 250 and towing on flat I'm usually about 650 climbing a pass I see 1150
My temps are similar to @Oledirtypearl86 temps. I idle at 220 and I’m not able to get over 1100 when I’m towing, which is due to some intake and exhaust mods. Honestly the temps @KevSrFord posted sound just about normal to me

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
My RV runs at around 900F at highway speed, give or take. Due to the ATS 085 turbo, no cold air intake possible due to the van engine bay not allowing the 085's air box lid to be installed. It has a retaining ring to hold in the filter (K&N)

You must be registered for see images attach

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
My RV runs at around 900F at highway speed, give or take. Due to the ATS 085 turbo, no cold air intake possible due to the van engine bay not allowing the 085's air box lid to be installed. It has a retaining ring to hold in the filter (K&N)

Not to mention that you're moving a large brick. That would make everything work harder and raise the EGTs like you're towing. I think your EGTs are right about where they should be considering everything.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Not to mention that you're moving a large brick. That would make everything work harder and raise the EGTs like you're towing. I think your EGTs are right about where they should be considering everything.

I have seen it climb over 1k on steep hills (keeping my foot out of it mostly) in the north panhandle area of TX. The placement of the pyrometer made it hard to watch closely. That has been changed by moving the gauge to the A pillar. Now I just have to wait for this pandemic to be over before I can travel much.

I squandered the opportunity to add a trans temp gauge when I replaced the pan a short while ago. It just didn't occur to me to get a universal bung kit and drill a hole in the side of the pan until after I had it installed and refilled. If I still have the RV in a few years when I do a pan fluid change only (not gonna mess with TC drain probably next time), at least I do have the drain bolt pan now, so it won't be as horrible to drain and drop the pan to do the mod.

It has a big, factory installed transmission cooler though, so it's probably fine temperature wise.

EDIT: 1k, not 10k LOL

Last edited: