What is going on with my tranny/clutch!

adtman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got this thing running last week. New clutch installed. I have been driving it and it is doing great, except for today. I noticed that in 4th gear and 5th gear it feels like it is slipping maybe. Engine rpms rev up but the transmission feels like it is barely keeping up. I let off the throttle and ease back into it and all is fine. I cannot "hammer down". I was pulling my trailer and the same thing. It holds steady but at higher rpms, like passing someone it just doesn't "grab" like is feels like is should. It is really tight taking off 2nd and 3rd grab really good. Tranny junk now? ***?!?!??!?

Any enlightenment would be greatly appreciated!

John

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Do you still have the dual mass flywheel in that thing?
What kind of clutch did you install ( what kind of clutch facing material etc, stock or heavy duty)?
Did you get all the friction surfaces cleaned off and free of grease when installing?
Any major oil leaks in that vacinity?

adtman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, I installed a new "luk" single mass. I do have an oil leak. I have been watching it, the flywheel seems very clean still. I replaced the rear main oil seal. I see no leaking from it. I will inspect it closer. When I installed the clutch it was clean, it went from the plastic to the truck and together. I have put about 1000 miles on it since it has been installed. It just started this yesterday.

John

Thank you for the reply.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
How much free play do you have in the clutch pedal before you feel the throwout bearing contact the pressure plate fingers? You should have 1" free play at the top of teh pedal travel, and on the other end, you should begin to feel contact between the clutch disk and the pressure plate/flywheel when the pedal is raised 1" up from the floor.

adtman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is about right. Clutch pedal feels good. In first it is almost immediate grab from the floor. I usually take off in second and the travel you mentioned is about right.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Are you positive that you installed the disk facing the correct direction and got all the pressure plate bolts torqued down( sorry, have to ask)?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The clutch is slipping. Not good. Give LuK a call and see if they have any insight into the problem if you can't find something with the excellent suggestions given by Rob.

Heath

adtman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you positive that you installed the disk facing the correct direction and got all the pressure plate bolts torqued down( sorry, have to ask)?

Yes I even read the disk. I do appreciate you asking. I torqued to to 20lbs. I am going to just see how bad that oil leak is. I will get some brake clean and have a buddy push in the clutch. Spray it and clean it and see if that changes things up a bit.

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
I take it this is becoming a pattern? I wonder if they messed up on a run of these clutches with too soft a facing?

Mine is doing very well so far. Got it a month ago.:dunno

adtman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I checked and there is no oil on the clutch. The oil pan is leaking I am going to need to remove it and reseal it. I am not looking forward to that. The slave cylinder is operating correctly. As is the throwout bearing. There is no binding at all. I pulled my gooseneck dump trailer today with 525 6" privacy fence pickets today. I pulled it 47 miles with no problems. I left the trailer at the job site and drove the truck home and again, no issues. I am going to watch it closely the next few days. The clutch hasn't been in for 3 weeks yet. I will post if I have any further issues.

John

By the way, I really do appreciate all of the replies. This is a very very good site!

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Well, I checked and there is no oil on the clutch. The oil pan is leaking I am going to need to remove it and reseal it. I am not looking forward to that.

I wish it were just that easy to pull the pan, but the motor has to come out of the truck to drop the pan.....-cuss

This might be a good time to do the oil cooler O rings since it will be so easy to reach.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news..

adtman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well crap....that is not good news. I already have a rebuilt oil-cooler waiting to get installed...LOL That was the easiest part of your whole post! LOL Can I just jack the cab up a few inches? Use a cherry picker or a hoist to lift the motor high enough? Would it be easier to do this with the front clip off?

John

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
I take it this is becoming a pattern? I wonder if they messed up on a run of these clutches with too soft a facing?

There's a few of us that have experienced slipping with the LUK kits with low mileage. Not sure if its a bad batch or not since there's a big spread between those that have had issues.:dunno