what fuel pump do i have

wood350

Reaction score
i have a 1994 idi with factory turbo i was just wondering whether i have a mechanical pump or electric if its mechanical how much would it be to put in an electric thanks for the help

Exekiel69

Reaction score
You have a mech pump and You can spend $32 for a reg pump or 50-100 for a holley red pump (My personal favorite), is really easy to install and worth every penny. Okigringo wrote how to some time ago, maybe is time to do and article for that too.

wood350

Reaction score
thanks alot i have to get a new starter tomorrow ill look into it if i have the money

Chuckdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whats the difference between the two pumps? I'm sure i have a mech pump with an 86' so what performance increase can i expect if i got one?

Snowdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the electric pump you can prime the system without cranking the starter. The reason for the pump is to correct the main problem diesels have, getting air in the system. When the truck sits air seeps in, I know people who bleed the schrader valve as part of their startup procedure. The electric pump makes small air leaks easier to ignore and saves your starter. When you change the fuel filter you can prime quickly.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No performance improvement (over a working stock pump), the low pressure pump simply feeds the inlet of the Injection Pump.

The bonus is that the system is easier to bleed, and eliminates the possibility of the stock pump failing and dumping fuel into the crankcase.

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
electric fuel pump

i would reccomend that if you step up to a electric pump you can go to auto zone are whereever and get a fuel pump block off plate for a big block chevy it will fit. take off mech pump do not leave it in sequence with the electric one. that is a bad idea because the diaphram in mech pump can rupture and fill the block full of diesel fuel (thats not good). good luck with your swap its well worth the money.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7