what ford should have done!

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what about a screamin jimmey?
That's been done too...I imagine it would be a LOT of work, though. Take a look at the picture...I'd hate to pull that valve cover to do a valve adjustment...

BTW, someone put a C8.3l Cummins in an F-350 a while back...he needed a body lift for the engine and Eaton tranny he used, and the cab was completely custom (gauge panel, doghouse, etc), but it was a very impressive setup! IIRC he got somewhere around 20 mpg as well...he ended up selling it on Fleabay; no idea what ended up happening to that truck...

Attachments

• '74 Ford pickup with 6-71 repower.jpg
    '74 Ford pickup with 6-71 repower.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 48

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When considering engine transplants, everyone thinks of pushing the fire-wall back, whereas, instead, I look at ways to move the radiator forward, even if it requires either the hood/fenders be lengthened, or the grille be re-designed.

I think it's a joke the way the later-model light-trucks of all makes have those wide sloping windshields and ten-acre dash-tops, with the most of the engine tucked back under the cowl.

Just yesterday, I was examining an early-80s F-??? single-axle dump-truck with the original 3208.

The doors, cab, and even the cowl, and possibly.the firewall, were identical to those on an F-150,-250,-350, and I am fairly sure that the wide "hip-fendered" dog-house could easily be swapped onto the smaller trucks.

The next time another one is in the shop, I am going to raise the hood and measure from the cowl to the radiator, and compare the firewall to mine.

Simply swapping on one of those dog-houses and maybe moving forward the front fender mounts might open up a bunch of engine swap possibilities, the DT466 for instance.

Back in the seventies, the F-350/3208-CAT swap was fairly common; I think at that time, the 3208 was more commonly called an 1160.

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
To all who would like to see the truck stayi nternational, I wonder if a 530 would fit? That would be a cool swap project.
Ken

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To all who would like to see the truck stayi nternational, I wonder if a 530 would fit? That would be a cool swap project.
Ken

If you can do a DT466, a DT530 can be done as well. They are the same size physically. The 466 is much more common and there are many options from the tractor pulling industry to increase it's displacment to as high as 671 cubes!:eek::D

Yup, that is on my "Next Project" list. Just gotta sell my house in Toledo first. Hey...........anyone want to by a nice home in Toledo?:dunnoLOL

Heath

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I know that back in the 70's that Cat dealers had a "kit" to do an F-350 gasser to 3208 Cat powerplant. McAlister's here in Indy was an authorized dealer for that swap.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
i forget where but i saw a '70's f-250 with a DT466 in it, it wasn't completed but the engine was just sent in, no idea where it is now. i've seen some 466's in superduty pulling trucks too..... ;Sweet

-Jon

tractorman86

Reaction score
a 366? i cant say i have ever heard of one the 4l53 would be a cool swap but it has been done, youtube it

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online