What do Northerners do about rust?

paramax55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got an '06 that's beautiful up top, but looks like the pits of hell underneath. This truck came from Ohio and I'm in Florida. The only way we could come close to this type of damage is to drive it into the bay on purpose and leave it there for a few months. Needless to say, nobody does that so we have no method to stop the damage before it gets worse. What does everyone up North do? Do you just watch a truck rot away? Someone suggested spraying the entire underside with transmission fluid?

Comptech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Usually a snow shovel and a broom to sweep them up out of the driveway.I'm in Ohio and they're using the liquid de-icer now. I have resorted to buying winter beaters. I actually got under my truck and scrubbed the frame down and applied the Eastwood's frame product. It has done a good job.

Comptech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Eastwood product looks exactly like the original frame coating, it's not gooey or anything like that

paramax55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm... it seems that Eastwood has a few products that they claim are good for rust. I wonder what the long-term results are. It's not expensive so, if it works, I wonder why the factory doesn't just use it from the get-go?

Comptech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My only experience is with the rust converter. It's been on there about 5 or 6 years now and looks really good still. But it sees very little winter driving.

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Car wash after storms. In CT, they’ve generally moved from salting the roads to using a brine mix of magnesium chloride which is nasty stuff. I used to spray jet fuel underneath, then tried type 1 deice fluid, then type 4, then back to diesel. Nothing really combats the rust and corrosion very well. I knew plow drivers who would put a water sprinkler under the truck when they were done but even they got rusted or earlier than normal.

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Car wash after storms. In CT, they’ve generally moved from salting the roads to using a brine mix of magnesium chloride which is nasty stuff. I used to spray jet fuel underneath, then tried type 1 deice fluid, then type 4, then back to diesel. Nothing really combats the rust and corrosion very well. I knew plow drivers who would put a water sprinkler under the truck when they were done but even they got rusted or earlier than normal.

It's the calcium chloride that they use for roads that's ******* the metal the mag chloride is for dust control I spray the crap all the time and it's not corrosive it just crusts over but they use the Cal chloride because it brings the melting point down further than salt

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in north west Florida, but I visited Rockford IL one time and saw it snow. It was neat. The next morning a big truck come driving through the neighborhood broadcasting salt. I was..... well.....I don't know what I was. But to answer the question, what do northerners do about rust? Honestly, I think they sit by themselves in their garages and carports and cry........while making a car payment.....on a 2yr old vehicle.....that's almost half gone. I actually bought my 86idi crew cab 7yrs ago from a guy that scours local junkyards for late model truck beds and hauls them to new York so they can be bolted onto trucks and start rusting away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online