What do I need to change.....What's going to mess up my engine swap???

troupp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After discovering that I have a dead exhaust valve on my motor(92) one of my neighbors offered to trade one of my toys for what's left of his 89-9? f-?50 dually diesel that had just had a motor put in it. My question is what's different between these motors that I can plan on changing before the switch? I can see that on mine the fuel filter is on the pass. side front and on the other one the filter on driver's side front, what else would I have to change? also for anyone that's interested in parts off of the other truck when done, parts will be available(read cheap) it's a reg cab no bed no trans dually

thanks

krawlr

Yup, that's me
Reaction score
I think your within the right range for a direct swap. Maybe this will help: Differences6.9-7.3

I got excited when I saw this "(read cheap)" but then I saw "no trans" . :cry: If it's a 350 and the rear leaves are good and you're close...lots of ifs there. LOL

gotslicks

Reaction score
i dont want to hijack your post but..................
i got a wrecked 90? f 250 auto 7.3 idi 2wd
motor tranny great condition
truck is hit hard in front left wheel
im me for parts

troupp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well..... I'm in northern pa and the truck's not at my house yet. but as soon as he gets it here, I'll let everyone know what's good and what's not.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are no Differences between those motors, only thing that MIGHT be a slight issue is if the tranny is different you'll have to just use your current flex plate and stuff. That is unless you are factory turbo in the 92?

troupp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish I had the factory turbo.... no such luck.... what about the return lines? They list two different kits for the 7.3... and I already have a kit for my motor.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it sounds like somebody put a van motor in the parts truck.vans had the fuel filter on the drivers side.you can install your fuel filter on it but you will have to swap your fuel lines from the IP to the injectors and return lines over as well.the only other thing that will be different is the flywheel if your truck is a 5 speed and the parts truck is an auto.other than that it will be a drop in and go swap.

troupp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will I have to switch the injector lines if the motor is a complete running motor? Can I just switch the fuel filter mount and associated line? And I know I have to swap the flywheel, as the donor is an auto and mine's stick

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes