what can i do for a smoother ride

farriswheel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what suspension mods can i do to get a smoother ride? its really bumpy right now

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
meatier tires, good shocks, and maybe softer springs will all help. keep in mind it is a truck built to move weight (unlike the new junk on the lots now that is built to look pretty and go fast).

punk

farriswheel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i probably wont be hauling too much, at all. so a suspension for towing isnt an issue really. what brands of shocks and springs are good?

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
I will leave that for people that know better than I. I have a flat bed crew cab 4x4, Im not too sure anything is more harsh. I need better seats, but the 33" tires helped A LOT. I have always been a solid one ton truck ride fan though. I grew up in f450's delivering 10k lb injection molds. Things would beat you to death and I loved them. I figured I would grow out of it but, alas, not yet.

punk

you might call your local tire/ suspension shop and ask them. Keep in mind that they are trying to sell you somthing, but the basic idea's that they outline to try to back the sale will work regardless. Then look online for something cheaper (or just get it from them if it is a locally owned shop, might be a little more $ but you have a place to get questions answered)

punk

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
A set of Bilstien shocks, lower your tire pressure (increases comfort,lowers fuel economy), and if You can find them, a set of Velvet Ride Spring Shackles.

Popeye2347

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Duplicate an ambulance air ride system. I think it was here someone posted an air ride from an ambulance-the leaf springs were cut about 1/2 way between the axle and hanger and an air bag mounted on the stub. Looks to me like the ride should be improved with little or no loss of carrying capacity.
I'm guessing it would cost the proverbial 'pretty penny' to have a shop duplicate the setup.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your sig doesn't say it, but your avatar pic does. You have a 4X4, I'm gonna guess with the factory reverse arch springs. Is the harshness you percieve in the front or the back? Most times, it's the front springs bottoming out on the bump stops. A positive arch spring like what comes with a suspension lift will help that a bit, as would some add on air bags.

Popeye2347

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OOPS-my bad. I overlooked the 4x4 part-it is now corrected as you can see.

It seems like the front is the issue and the springs is what I suspect. A lift kit is out however due to my height impared wife. Sitting at stock height she still needs a small stepladder to entry/exit due to knee problems.
You mention air bags....any recommendations on how to install them? My thoughts are to remove a leaf or two to weaken the spring, and add the bag where the bump stop is now. Good idea or do you have a better one?
Thanks

DragRag

Reaction score
It's a truck. Want a smoother ride, buy a car....

You could try not running max tire pressure in the tires to. At 80 mine rides like a brick, at 50 it's much better.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Swap suspension with an 08 Ford superduty ;Sweet.

Dont know how you would do it but they sure ride nice LOL.

Popeye2347

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a truck. Want a smoother ride, buy a car....

You could try not running max tire pressure in the tires to. At 80 mine rides like a brick, at 50 it's much better.

I have 40 in the rear, 50 in front a per chalk test. Maybe I am spoiled but compared to my coworkers '95 F250 turbo diesel [with almost the same tires, pressure and all,] his has the proverbal 'Cadillac' ride. Other than the turbo and a year newer the ride should, [in my mind,] be close to the same. Or is there differences I don't know about?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Bilstein shocks help, tire brand makes a world of difference. you can have two different sets of tires, both load range E, both 10 ply rated, but one will bounce so hard they'll have you changing lanes by themselves and the other will feel great. Go for the softer sidewalls.

For the final word in comfort, AIR SEATS ;Sweet If you can find a really large big truck wrecking yard , some of the passenger seats in International 9670 cabovers were pancake mount air seats to fit over the heater box in those things, same thing on some of the conventional tractors that had the heater box under the passenger seat, and those pancake mount air seats will fit in a pickup very nicely . The ride is unbelievable. I have no disks left in my spine, so I have to pull out every trick I can or the ride is too darn painful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JFMac

Members online