What Are These Two Things? Do they go together?

Max Mini

Reaction score
These are both hanging inside the front grill. Are they supposed to be attached to each other? Attached to something else? Disregard the rusty coat hanger I rigged to pop my hood!
You must be registered for see images attach

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The top one is the cable housing for your hood latch. The bottom one looks like a tire valve. Do you have air bags on the truck or an air tank.

Max Mini

Reaction score
The top one is the cable housing for your hood latch. The bottom one looks like a tire valve. Do you have air bags on the truck or an air tank.
Yeah, air bags in the front springs. They're new, explains why I never saw it before. The top one, though - excuse my ignorance, but it was never there before. Just appeared after several weeks in the shop. Why does it go all the way around the interior of the engine compartment?

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It should go to the pull release for your hood inside on the driver side kick panel.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It was there before, it was probably still being held inside the bracket that is to the right of it in your first two pictures. I'm sure that it recently fell out of that bracket and that's why you hadn't noticed it before.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Looks like your hood release cable broke (Now you see the end of the cable housing hanging out of the way with no stranded cable protruding from the middle of it.) and someone replaced with a piece of coat hanger or wire so you can release the hood with that piece of wire instead.

Not clear if you meant your hood release wire goes around the passenger cab (Gnathv has it right if so.) or the air line goes around the cab.

If the airline goes around the cab it likely goes to the back axle (Or did.) (Do you have air shocks or air bags on the back axle?) Perhaps the previous owner felt it was easier for him to air up the back shocks or air bags from the front. Pull up to a tire air machine at the gas station or had a small garage and his compressor was in the front of the garage. So ran the line from the rear axle to the font.

All the best.