What a trip

nyteshades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took the truck on her first road trip from Tulsa to Ashland, WI. Truck ran great my only complaint was the snow storm we hit out of Des Monies and we're stuck in past the cities. Truck took it in stride, only locked it down into 4 twice, both times in towns off the highway, the rest of the time the hubs weren't even locked in.

Other people though....I probably passed a dozen people in the ditch who flew by me. I saw a semi in the median last night facing north in the south bound lane...wasn't jack knifed, just spun the wrong way.

Anyway, I thought I'd share the fun and some of the adventures of a 17 hour drive. End up finishing the trip this morning after a couple of z's in a motel.

She's getting the nickname snow tank...she tore it up last night. She being the truck...

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey you probably were a few hours from me when you were in Des Moines. I am in the southern part of the state. Glad you made it through okay. I saw they were getting a bunch of snow but I didn't get any. It is kinda funny when you make a road trip when the roads are bad how many people you can count in the ditch. I drove our neon 600 miles one way last year during a blizzard heading straight into it and we stopped counting vehicles past 100. There was so many of them a semi blew past us and a few miles down the road he was sideways blocking almost every lane of the road. So many 4wds etc. in the ditch and I was driving a little car. I take it you got your driveshaft figured out thats good to hear.

nyteshades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh ya...it was fun. MY 13 yr old son was "Dad....why are we going so slow...people are passing us".....while later to my son "hey look, the guy in the ditch passed us a while back...the only kind of race we're in, is to get there without getting in the ditch. Slow and steady will do it, not fast and sloppy"

Ya I got it, lol. I swapped the yokes on the tcase and I'm glad I did to. I had thought for a sec about not doing it...but then I would have been screwed.

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Around here there can be black ice on one road and the other they put salt out and its got traction. I still don't trust it if one road has ice and the other doesn't so I still take it pretty easy on the roads that seem fine and you will get people passing you like they are in some kind of nascar race. I figure I always win the race though because I make it there in one piece. We have a chance in a few days of getting 6+ inches of snow so we will have to see how that turns out. I keep saying every winter that I am going to get chains for our vehicles but never do. Maybe next year:) I think I got my truck going just in time for some snow.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I figure I always win the race though because I make it there in one piece.
Yup, that's just the way it is for me too. Seem to me about every time someone flies by me like I'm stopped on a day with particularly nasty weather road conditions, I always see them wrecked some miles down the road - one guy rolled over so bad their roof was level with their hood, another ****** that passed me on the right in an emergency pull-off zone went off the deep end (literally) into a ravine, and so on... People are idiots these days, foot to the floor and Jesus take the wheel I guess cookoo

nyteshades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well we left Duluth yesterday at 5 am and I pulled into the drive at 10:30 last night. I'm very happy with the truck. There are a few little issues that need to be fixed but for the most part, it's all good. A diesel CC is definitely a snow tank. She's (the truck) has definitely earned a treat. :sly

dieselM715

Feep builder
Reaction score
nyteshades; You drove right passed my home town if you were on US 53.
I was out in the storm we had up here 3 weeks ago.I drove 45mph and I made it to and back from where I was going to with out a problem.I was driving my 95 F350 CC gasser.
Glad you trip was a success.

Tom

nyteshades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not much in Ashland, Wi. What was the trip for?

Happen to stop by the Great Lakes Visitor Center?

Wife is from Brule, remaining grandfather lives in Iron River, Mother in law lives in Mellen, and remaining grandmother lives in Delta. In fact the Delta Diner was built on the site her great grandparents had a general store on. We still own the houses between the Diner and Scenic H.

No I didn't get the chance to do much of anything but fix crap around there. We did go Ice fishing....my son got a good size pike out of there.

Attachments

• PC220092.jpg
    PC220092.jpg
    613.7 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

nyteshades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nyteshades; You drove right passed my home town if you were on US 53.
I was out in the storm we had up here 3 weeks ago.I drove 45mph and I made it to and back from where I was going to with out a problem.I was driving my 95 F350 CC gasser.
Glad you trip was a success.

Tom

With the storm I decided to stick with 35 up to Duluth vs run the back roads. I have been up that way a few times, it's pretty country. My best friend has family from the Rice Lake area too....we keep talking about going camping up there.

NTOLERANCE

I'm the cotton swab
Reaction score
My family used to have land in Glidden, spent alot of time up there when I was younger. I take a bike ride up there at least once a year. And yes it is pretty country.

Nice Pike BTW.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Staff online