West Coast Fall Get Together

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with you all on this. Only reason I said weekend is it was mentioned and if I was coming from a 5 hours aways or whatever. I personally would not wanna drive home same day an all day get together would be good to an what happens happens. As for what I have in mind for trucks honestly I perfer our idi's over all but bein a smaller community that we have I tend to try and talk diesels with most people believe it or not alot of non idi's owners has had one. Now a good few of us open our hearts to idi fummins trucks bought or took their idi out to replace it with a 12 valver which hints to me we all like mechanical diesels. Plus the guys with early cummins trucks end up getting there girlfriend an idi cause it's cheaper cause they like them after seeing ours. (this happened the other day after a guy I met saw mine and his gf wanted one like his when she saw mine she wanted it we are lookin to buy her one now.) that's my thought I understand we are an idi group but at same time (WE ARE A DIEING BREED) (ALL HELP IS GOOD.) an who wouldn't wanna see more trucks? Lol I love seeing them shoot even old 460 cc brick nose are sweet but there not diesel. I think you guys see my point I hope you understand I wont trade my idi for sqwat but I have a soft spot for old trucks and all diesels I have a close friend with a nice 99 stroker thats an x military guys which is gonna attend as well just cause he loves diesels. Personally I don't mind going further away if it helps out others but if I'm planning it it makes it easier if it's in town as Ron made several trips to the rally site for prep work and stuff. So if we move it away from SD I'm fine with that all just need someone to help with the planning. Sorry if I'm making this hard. I really wanted to go get my rally fix this year didn't get to go so just trying to let some others who didn't either get a chance to bs put screen names with faces check out rigs and wrench if wanted and so on. Mostly camp and eat as I Love Food haha. So it makes it more fun if there's more trucks to look at even if there not all idi's it's what we like to do and see. We all share #2 running through our veins!

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's not too far I'm open to that all do some checking out of the place online if you would to that would be great thanks.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW I'm potentially interested, but after seeing previous efforts fizzle out, I'm reserving judgement at the moment (and, this is why I didn't post earlier)...nothing against Devon or anyone else; just, the link that towcat posted is not the only attempt to do something like this, and there hasn't been a "true" success yet other than towcat's informal GTG's.

Regarding this, I think that Knuckledragger (among others) has the right idea...don't try to re-create the east coast event right off the bat. Better to start low-key...I'd argue in favor of a single day; maybe even just a dinner/truck gawking session. Certainly, this would avoid the issue of shelling out money for a campground only to have no one show up (besides, I'm not much of a camper, so personally, I would prefer something in-town). If you have a core group in Sandy Eggo who has a preferred date, go with that, and if anyone from out of the area shows up, so much the better ;Sweet ...and, let it build up slowly over a period of a couple of years before starting to add anything too crazy.

I remember what Travis once said about his post-holiday GTG...he put it together with the thought in mind that he's going to be at X place at Y time and he's going to have fun, and if anyone joins him, the more the merrier...

Just my $.02 ...and FWIW I'd be good with pretty much any weekend other than Thanksgiving and the time around Christmas; I just need a month or so's warning so I can ask for the time off of work...

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Warden cant say that I disagree with you I will read the fall out thread tonight and try and learn from it. I know most are double thinking this as im a newer member here I completely understand and not takin it personal nothing I hate more than time wasted or a week at work not completed fully to its requirements. I do like the sound of dinner and a 1 nighter. At the same time I very much enjoyed dinner with Calvin(towcat) but had tons of questions to ask still yet and time flew right by and we parted ways at the freeway:puke: as we drove outta town together. ;Sweet With that said in no way could I put together Rons rally nor do I wanna try I just wanna bring some of us together to bs and learn as im trying to become a idi master asap lol sounds funny but when you all meet me you will understand im addicted to idi diesels or 4bt 6bt idc they make my blood flow and put a huge grin on my face looking at these rigs weather in showroom state or a complete rusted out bucket there screamin cool factor yes its nice to see a nice one but when I see a ruff on it makes me start thinking about all the dirty jobs that rig has been through:sly Anyways imma look at the calender and see what looks best to me. All try and find a good date I think A friday night leave to here saturday morning all day and people can leave or stay the night and tear outta town before the heat hits all help others pack or whatever is needed.

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Again in no way do I wanna try and create a rally like the one back east. just want to try and bring us west coast guys some fun as ive read most dont make it out east and the ones out here fall apart.

As for setting a date at least guys pitch in a month that would work best and all pick the DATE then just give me an idea all watch our thread close and am more than willing to entertain ideas and some of your alls know how. Thanks all OB who would like to try and attend and want to try and make this happen. I also more than completly understand that it cost you ALL money to come down here or whereever and dont want to waste anyones extremely hard earned money that's hard to come by noor there TIME THEY TOOK OFF WORK I personally have only had 1.5 days off in a YEAR workin 6 days a week and pullin long hours all year mainly tell 1am to get my rig to the state that its in now and really would like to meet you all!

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Like we said in the Navy. KISS keep it simple sailor. Build it, they will come as mentioned with Travs winter meets.The reason the east cost rally is what it is is because of 11 years of dedicated hard work, be it time, money and other resources commandeered to make the week happen.

Prime example is Darrins fall meet. It started out as a hey lets get together for a fall weekend and just hang out and camp. It wasn't modeled after a rally nor any events scheduled.
It's now on it's 6th year and growing rapidly!
We do nothing more than hang out and burn up a truckload of firewood and just socialize. Since Darrin's shop is close enough, we've even gotten froggy enough to do some serious carnage to the trucks, twisted driveshafts abd lifted heads top the list.
Heck one of the first Moose pumps was installed at one of the meets which landed on one of the first hi-po IDI's.

Starting off small and simple with the "build it they'll come" mentality is a good way to go. This day and age, people are busy with work and family events so no one date may be perfect. Go with a date and location and build from there.
Hiccups will happen along the way but roll with them. keeping all parties informed of itinerary plans and changes are crucial to make it successful.
They've got to start somewhere. :D

I wish you best of luck and hope it all works out. The trucks are just an excuse to get together to meet new friends and family!

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Yep pick a date and place. Like I said many years ago when setting up the winter party is ill be here on this date and place if you want to come hang out then come hang out. If not I'm still going so... and it has grown over the years as well and people ask about when its going to be. Yes it started small yes we have had one year when it was only three of us but we still enjoyed our time. That was because of a major snow storm.

One thing I will mention is pick a campground that has cabins for those that either don't have a camper or don't camp. That way they can attend and have accompdations that fit their style. You'll get a larger turn out.

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
21 or 28 of September sounds good and is like 2 months always let me know how that sounds guys. Ron thanks for the info that's how all let it be then and all be callin ya with questions. Lol a i delayed this post by callin you. Thanks again for the help Ron. Be we both know all call and thank you again. Anyways back on track I wanna make it fun for whoever comes but after talkin to Ron we decided that maybe the desert Glamis sand drags 4x4in fourwheeling sand rail rides idk just another thought. Ron said he would come for that if he could also you could catch a ride in the only pre runner idi The Joker imma be picking a date within 2 weeks maybe in October instead idk let me kno what u guys are thinking.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know most are double thinking this as im a newer member here I completely understand and not takin it personal nothing I hate more than time wasted or a week at work not completed fully to its requirements. I do like the sound of dinner and a 1 nighter.
Actually, the scepticism on my part has nothing to do with your status as a "newer" member or with you at all...my concerns are strictly based on the history of previous attempts to do this. So, thank you for not taking it personally :) and I sincerely hope that this will gel together!! ;Sweet

At the same time I very much enjoyed dinner with Calvin(towcat) but had tons of questions to ask still yet and time flew right by and we parted ways at the freeway:puke: as we drove outta town together. ;Sweet ... I just wanna bring some of us together to bs and learn as im trying to become a idi master asap lol sounds funny but when you all meet me you will understand im addicted to idi diesels or 4bt 6bt idc they make my blood flow and put a huge grin on my face looking at these rigs weather in showroom state or a complete rusted out bucket there screamin cool factor yes its nice to see a nice one but when I see a ruff on it makes me start thinking about all the dirty jobs that rig has been through:sly Anyways imma look at the calender and see what looks best to me. All try and find a good date I think A friday night leave to here saturday morning all day and people can leave or stay the night and tear outta town before the heat hits all help others pack or whatever is needed.
I know exactly what you mean ;Sweet it doesn't sound funny at all to me! My goal isn't really any different from yours...I've been playing with diesels since age 13 or so (started out on marine diesels, and branched into on-road engines when I was 18), and I have a great admiration and respect for the technology and the concept...and really have been trying to master it ever since, although in the 17+ years since the bug bit me, I can't say that I've succeeded LOL but one has to start somewhere, right?

21 or 28 of September sounds good and is like 2 months always let me know how that sounds guys. Ron thanks for the info that's how all let it be then and all be callin ya with questions. Lol a i delayed this post by callin you. Thanks again for the help Ron. Be we both know all call and thank you again. Anyways back on track I wanna make it fun for whoever comes but after talkin to Ron we decided that maybe the desert Glamis sand drags 4x4in fourwheeling sand rail rides idk just another thought. Ron said he would come for that if he could also you could catch a ride in the only pre runner idi The Joker imma be picking a date within 2 weeks maybe in October instead idk let me kno what u guys are thinking.
Actually, at the moment, it looks like the 21st or October 5th would work perfectly for me. Although I'm not 100% certain on the dates yet, it's looking like I have some business to attend to in SoCal on the weekend of September 29th (just found out about this last night), so it would be very easy for me to extend my time-off forward or back a week to have both weekends off ;Sweet

As a non-camper, I have to second Travis's suggestion about finding a campground with cabins, or finding a campground with a motel not too far away. For this penguin, air conditioning would be greatly appreciated :angel:

Just my $.02...

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It doesn't matter for me on the date. Just as long as it is a weekend for sure. The more notice I have the better though. My wife will want to come also. Also Glamis does sound good. I like that idea... You'll have to let me ride your quad though Devon. :D

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe the 19th or the 5th but I found this opening day and looks like it could suite the needs of others who are looking for a cabin and stuff. http://www.glamisnorth.com/amenities.html

Theres the link let me know if others have interest in this cause Russ (typ4) had menetioned that he wanted to come down an meet up with some board members and go to glamis. I believe he has a sand rail and probley would give some rides to if that sparks interest. An being able to park around these cabins would make us close and group like.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That definitely sounds good to me bro...

Do you know how much those cabins cost for those who want it? I'm content with my trusty old tent though. Lol. Also are dogs allowed there?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Resurrecting this thread...

Is there any consensus on a date? If I'm going to go, I need to put in a time-off request pretty soon. Again, I would vote for the weekend of September 22nd or October 6th...if the choice came down to me, I'd go for October 6th.