Wellman glow plugs?

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Ive had mine in almost two years now.

I beat the heck outa mine this winter starting my truck on fire calls and they are all still good. Really surprised me they did not burn out because I know I kept them on way longer than needed a few times.

Brutis

Work in Progress
Reaction score
Good to know. Maybe they'll be worth trying next time around. I don't mind replacing GPs somewhat regularly, b/c I work them pretty hard too. Its cheaper to replace them every fall then to keep my truck plugged it any time the temp is below 55 degrees - which is about 10 months a year up here!

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
One thing to beware of is that all Wellmans are not created equal.

When I researched this, it appeared that only the ones listed for the 6.9l and have a part number ending in 088 are dual coil plugs that are self limiting.

I'm sure that's what CDX825 has and I wouldn't hesitate to use them on a manual system but you will have to change from bullet connectors to spade connectors unless you just make a short piece of wire that adapts.

If you you're going to use the auto controller for your year truck I wouldn't use anything but the Motorcraft/Beru plugs. That controller is made to work with those and any thing else is really risky.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Yeah the newer style glow plug controller will only work properly with motorcraft or international glow plugs.

cetanefreek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got the self limiting dual coil wellman glow plugs in mine, VERY happy with them so far, I tested them with a battery and a ammeter and the self limiting feature seems to work very good.

I've only had them in a couple months but they've been great so far.

edit- I do have a manual controller, but these get used hard due to my low compression requiring glow plugs to start even when it's hot.

aaron1976

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Wellman dual coil GPs and I really like them. I do use a manual button to glow them but with that being said, I can start the truck all the way down to -15 and even colder without plugging the block heater in. It is nice to be able to start it when no one else can start their IDI. I am the only one running around town with an IDI in the winter.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you you're going to use the auto controller for your year truck I wouldn't use anything but the Motorcraft/Beru plugs. That controller is made to work with those and any thing else is really risky.
I had a set of Wellmans in my truck when I got it, they worked good with the factory controller (7.3 solid state), eventually two burned out and I replaced all with Berus but then next year two of those went out too, so I'd say the Wellmans didn't perform any worse than the Berus.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 5 year old set of the dual coils in my 6.9, I had one fail under warranty in the first year, and have had no other issues. I also did 2 other trucks at about the same time without issue.
I have been known to burn the ones in my personal truck 30+ seconds on -30 days with no problems.
I did try a 7.3 set on one truck, but it had a controller failure that the owner ended up taking to Ford as I was out of town for work at the time, and they replaced everything, so I have no idea how well the single coil ones will actually last.
I have been sticking with Berus for 7.3 systems though, as without actually testing them myself, I don't feel comfortable installing them in a vehicle that isn't mine when I know the Berus will work just fine, especially since I picked up the last couple sets off of E-Bay for about $50.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems like Travis had Wellmans in the E for a time. I don't know if they last as well as the berus but I doubt they would hurt anything in a solid state system. The solid state really does not do well with autolites or champs because the resistance values are all wrong and you tend to have hard starting from day one and burned up plugs pretty soon. The same plugs would work great for a short time on a 6.9 system but wouldn't last and when they failed they would stick in the heads. I think failure mode is probably safe on the solid state and Wellmans. I think the conventional wisdom around here not to use anything other than berus is because they work so well why try to re-invent the wheel? They do work well, and in the going on 6 years I have had my solid state system and berus I have only replaced 2 glow plugs, one in Feb '08 and one this past fall/winter.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
JD is correct I ran wellmans for years in the E with no issues. They work just fine with the 7.3 solid state controller and I will run them again someday... They are what my local diesel shop installs in their IDI's. I can tell you that Champions have a nasty habit of swelling. Over the years I didn't have a problem with Beru's, motorcraft (made by beru) and wellmans.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin