Well that was really stupid

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So a couple of days ago I noticed my overflow bottle for coolant in my 6.9 had a crack in it and leaked out. Annoying but I had another one laying in stock and some coolant so I filled the radiator the 1/2 an inch it was down, filled the new overflow and moved on. Didn't drive the truck for a few days and took it to work today. When I got to work I noticed some water under it but nothing more than what an ac drips off and it wasn't until later in the day when I had that weird light bulb moment where I have an under dash ac system and my condensation leaks down a hose that runs along the frame rail by the transmission and nowhere near the engine.

Nothing when I leave work so I assumed I imagined even seeing it, get home and it's there again. I assume my radiator has given me the finger (or the water pump) but I'm actually an idiot and my radiator cap is just sitting in the engine bay where I left it.

I immediately put the cap back on and started the truck and the coolant only went from 190 to 200 after sitting for a few minutes cycling around, the radiator was hot top and bottom so it was still flowing. Thankfully I was unloaded and drive 20 miles on flat ground going 55mph with no stops to and from work.

I wiped everything down near the drivers side battery that got splashed and things seem normal. I let it run for 10 minutes and revved it some to clear any air bubbles but the radiator was only seemingly down what had splashed out pulling up my driveway..

Outside of me being an idiot, would everyone just assume this is where the story ends? My temp gauge never spiked while driving it. I just feel dumb, I don't know why I never put the cap back on nor do I know why I didn't even pop the hood before I left to come home today. Truck seems fine at least, engine bay got a little cleaner once I wiped stuff off with paper towels lol...

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
I had a 1995 years ago that I drove without a rad cap for several months. No harm done, never got past the first line on "normal"

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a 1995 years ago that I drove without a rad cap for several months. No harm done, never got past the first line on "normal"
Yeah I was gonna say you could drive most vehicles around unloaded without a radiator cap on at all and be just fine for a long, long time. It can get you out of a bad spot if you have a coolant leak under pressure but are in the middle of nowhere. Remove cap and drive to nearest water.

No worries! And let's face it, we've ALL done worse stuff than that and got the "Doh!" t-shirt.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And we ALL know the oem idiot light looks like a gauge in these tru ks, right!?

Reactions: dgr

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Boy am I disappointed. From reading the title, I thought it was about something I had done. I thought"wait. I haven't done anything stupid for over a week now. Oh well. the weekend's coming up.Maybe that will change."
Seriously, yes. Your story will end here unless you want to take a garden hose and wash off whatever coolant is left on things. Your radiator was only 1/2" down so there was no damage done.