Weird blinker/ac blower issue

BlackNoma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have searched the webz and haven't found anything.

Everything (except the cruise) works in my truck. Ac is ice cold. Replaced the round blinker thingy and it has no issues. I also replaced the AC blower when I got it and it has no issues.

The other day my ac blower stopped blowing. I popped the hood and unplugged the blower and plugged it back in. Nothing changed. Then I went to do it again and it started working. first couple of times it did this, I didn't realize the blinkers are also dead when it's doing this.

So randomly the blinkers don't work (flashers do) at all and the AC doesn't blow.

I discovered that if you turn the ignition off, they work. Then turning the engine back on, 99% of the time they stay on and don't have issues. It has happened about once a day since last Tuesday.

Y'all got any ideas?

For reference, my column loses ground when the ignition is on. Only affects the horn. I have made a jumper over the rag joint and splined joint on the column so it always has ground. So the horn works. Before I grounded it, there wasn't any issues with the blinkers or blower. It needs to be cleaned up, but it wasn't an issue before... So it shouldn't matter.

Last edited:

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When this problem happens does your backup lights work?

On your ignition switch, one of the outputs feeds fuses 5 and 9, fuse 5 feeds the turn signals and backup lamps (and day time running lamps), fuse 9 feeds the heater controls.

If the ignition switch has a bad spot this would cause your symptoms and turning the key off/on would fix it for a while.

BlackNoma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So... My radio also died the same day it started, but it was $7 from China... So I was expecting it.
Night before last I pulled the radio and unplugged it and plugged it back in. The radio works great again and the blinker/blower issue has vanished.

I'm not very excited about that... I would rather find the issue for sure and know I fixed it.

Oh well.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would pull the radio back out and check the harness for a short then if it was me.

BlackNoma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, when it does it I don't have any reverse lights like you said.
Do I need to change out the tumbler? Column? Column wiring harness?

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
So... My radio also died the same day it started, but it was $7 from China... So I was expecting it.

My cheapie $15ish one sometimes screws up and has to have the harness pulled off the back and put back to reset it. In the F250 it was a lot easier than it is in the van, the truck's trim just pulled off. The van's has to be unscrewed. The first time it does it in the van, I will put in a toggle switch somewhere to cut off the constant power since that's probably what resets it. I didn't think to do so when I moved it over from the truck. A lot of reviews for it complained that it dies within a few months. I've had mine for over 2 years and it's still fine, besides that issue.

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, when it does it I don't have any reverse lights like you said.
Do I need to change out the tumbler? Column? Column wiring harness?

The problem is the ignition switch which is on top of the column, it may only need to be adjusted up or down or it’s bad and needs to be replaced.