Water pump woes................

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me why the -cuss water pump will SOMETIMES leak and then stop cookoo :confused:

It started again today.....pulled up to a job, unloaded some iron {tools} and while walking back towards the truck I noticed some drips.......looked up and saw a trail from the bottom of the pump, dripping around the front seal cover :eek:

Parked, shut down and went about my work....came out popped the hood, tried to wiggle the fan/pulley {tight} lit her off and SURPRISE...no leak.

Drove home 70 odd miles at 80 mph....looked under and NO LEAKY:***:

Original w/p 210k mi so I know I need to change it out................

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
geonc said:
Can anyone tell me why the -cuss water pump will SOMETIMES leak and then stop cookoo :confused:

mine has been leaking/not leaking for about 3 months now LOL it will leak (fairly bad at times) then dry up with no real reason.. i'm not complaining.. i'm going to run it untill it gets wobbly or is pouring some serious coolant out of it... i just keep a jug of prestone in the toolbox

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
come on you guys. you know better than that.

The seals are gone and you need to replace the pump. Once it DOES decide to let go, your going to be in a place where you CANT fix it easily.

The pump doesnt have to wobble to have bad seals, plus, with the pressure of the serpintine belt, your not going to be able to feel it much anywayz.

Once its started leaking, then its a matter of time before it cuts loose. You want to fix it at home? or have to towed home.

your choice.

Its not a hard change, and now would be a good time for a coolant flush, and a coolant filter.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Daryl TRUST ME! I'm not one to let sumptin' go till it fubars .............:cheers:

Been looking at POWERSTROKESHOP.com and for what I have been quoted locally for just the pump, I can get a 203deg stat/stat hsg/neck from them ;Sweet

I just am puzzled by the intermittent drippage {no wizeazz comments about pennicillin either :backoff } :D

I will flush and re-fill with CAT ELC ;p Ran it 200+k mi in my IDI ;Sweet

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
geonc said:
Been looking at POWERSTROKESHOP.com and for what I have been quoted locally for just the pump, I can get a 203deg stat/stat hsg/neck from them ;Sweet

PSS sells the 203* stat for the FORD pump? I thought that was a bob riley/Dieselsite exlusive part.

The INTERNATIONAL 203* WILL NOT work in the ford pump. You must use the international pump with the integrated filter in order to use the 203* stat from international.

The international pump will work, but you have to grind a little material off the front to keep the serpentine belt from rubbing, and you'll need to bridge the gap to the lower radiator hose because the hose outlet is on the opposite side of the pump compared to Ford.

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
Ford_Forgotton said:
PSS sells the 203* stat for the FORD pump? I thought that was a bob riley/Dieselsite exlusive part.

The INTERNATIONAL 203* WILL NOT work in the ford pump. You must use the international pump with the integrated filter in order to use the 203* stat from international.

The international pump will work, but you have to grind a little material off the front to keep the serpentine belt from rubbing, and you'll need to bridge the gap to the lower radiator hose because the hose outlet is on the opposite side of the pump compared to Ford.

daryl do you know anyone that has put the IH filter pump on a superduty? that is what i'm planning on doing... i have found quite a few that have put them on the OBS trucks but not a super duty...

the 00-03 model IH water pumps with the filter don't have the *** that needs to be ground.. down but the water outlet doesn't turn down like the older model pump does... here is a image by dale@strokeshop from my thread on SDD.com

Attachments

• 73_WP.jpg
    73_WP.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 11

Eonflux

Reaction score
International Water Pump

I just replaced my original waterpump about 2 weeks ago, I used the
International with the coolant filter , and the Ford Dual Tensioner. The
only headache was finding the right belt length. I have a Dayco 5081265
on right now, seems to be fine. I did change 2 pulleys to get some more
tension, I replaced the idler by the alternator with the International smooth
pulley, and then I replaced the smooth pulley on the dual tensioner with
the larger smooth pulley from next to the alternator, with this I'm using
the International grooved pulley on the waterpump. This has been running
ok for the past 2 weeks. I emailed Gates, they said , a 125 3/4" belt is in
production for the end of June. Fords 124" belt was to tight before I changed
the 2 pulleys, This belt might be the one for those who want to use the
grooved pulley on the International pump with the Ford Dual Tensioner with
out changing the 2 pulleys like I did. The Ford 124" belt might of worked with
the dual tensioner , but you can't use the grooved pulley , have to grind off
the boss. I hope this helps some of you out.

International waterpump Pictures

Phil

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
eonflux welcome! hope you enjoy the site.

thanks for the info as well, what did you do about the lower hose?

Eonflux

Reaction score
lowerhose

The Napa 8763 would not fit for me on both ends, I ended up at another Napa
dealer more willing to help me, we came up with 8103 and 8411 and I
cut and splice them together with a short 2 inch muffler pipe, its shape is very close to the
8763 , fits alot better on both ends.

Phil

Last edited:

bubtheman

God I need a beer!!
Reaction score
I had a hell of a time with the hoses and thermostat (i have a very early '99) but got a brand new pump on ebay for $125 ;Really

Big Red CC Dually

Reaction score
jlayne said:
eonflux welcome! hope you enjoy the site.

thanks for the info as well, what did you do about the lower hose?

He (Phil) has a real good write up on TDS with the part numbers and info.

Phil...why not cut and paste the write up here, Mike may even make a sticky of it for the FAQ's. It is a great how to.

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
geonc said:
LINKY :D :Sly

AND it comes with the purchase of the pump ;Sweet

well I'll be a monkey's second cousin twice removed. He must of struck a deal with Bob, as it does state its a dieselsite thermistat. Very cool!!

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Ford_Forgotton said:
well I'll be a monkey's second cousin twice removed. He must of struck a deal with Bob, as it does state its a dieselsite thermistat. Very cool!!

Yeppers! ;Sweet

Well , the pump arrived yesterday at 4:30 pm and by 6 the new one was on!
Besides working outside , while the pump was out of the way I took the bolt loose from the CPS and coated it w/ never sieze, applied some dilectric grease to the weather pack, and installed the mehcanical water temp guage I have had sitting around for the past 10 mos or so.

One thing about installing the temp guage.....move the elec sender to the side of the pump amd you will be able to install the mech sender directly straight up in the top front!

Also removed both block drains in order to completly remove the old coolant in prep for CAT ELC ;Sweet

The only hink was when I was installing the heater neck.......had to wrench loose the neck from the old hsg...installed the new "O" ring and just as I went to give that last 1/4 turn by hand snug.....
the vulcan seal pushed out and split -cuss -cuss -cuss -cuss :mad:

So I used another "O" ring I had that was close to the same and after adding 6 gals of new CAT ELC :D ....lit her off, bled the air and off I went.

Temp stabilized at 200 deg after the stat opend, and held 195 deg for the rest of the test run-idle cool down ;Sweet

Now I just need to get the correct seal as the one I believed would work....showed a couple of drops at the thread area :eek: and at $10 gal for the CAT :eek: :eek:

And also to get 1 more gallon of CAT ELC.....the expansion tank is all but empty after a cool down...... and the CAT is pre mixed/ready to use and you cannot use water.

So any one doing a w/p -coolant flush/change should count on buying 7 gallons of coolant as opposed to the listed 5.5-6 gals :D

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
geonc said:
Yeppers! ;Sweet
So any one doing a w/p -coolant flush/change should count on buying 7 gallons of coolant as opposed to the listed 5.5-6 gals :D

Actually, TOTAL VOLUME is around 8 gallons for the cooling system. This is why you buy 4 gallons of straight coolant, and add about 4 gallons of distilled water to that.

Typically, after a "full flush" using distilled water, you leave about 3 gallons of water in the system. Add your 4 gallons of coolant, and top off with the last gallon of water.

If you can have NO WATER with your CAT stuff, then your going to need to blow out the heater core and the block etc etc. and plan for about 8 gallons of coolant.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker