Water-**** Injection in a 6.9l idi

Olb Blue Beast

Built Ford Tough
Reaction score
I was readin an article on Project 300 (Diesel Power Mag) bout how they put in a Water-**** injection kit from Snow Performance. I was wonderin if it econimical for a daily driver, i mean, is it worth it? Specifically i was lookin at there Stage 1 Diesel Boost cooler (http://www.snowperformance.net/stage-1-diesel-boost-cooler.html) and was wondering if it would a) be worth it for a daily driver and b) would it work? Oh, and does anyone run a water-**** inj kit on there idi?

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
no way in hell would i spend that kind of money on something like that. i am sure you could make your own kit for WAY less than their price.

in my opinion, which is un-educated in the water-**** department, it would not be worth it in a daily driver unless you are towing heavy and pushing good boost.

what kind of boost and egt numbers are you seeing right now?

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most who use w/m use it for towing but it is also good as a power adder too. I have also heard that an added side effect is a small increase in fuel economy. Just for the added power alone, it is worth it in my book...

wmoguy

Reaction score
I was readin an article on Project 300 (Diesel Power Mag) bout how they put in a Water-**** injection kit from Snow Performance. I was wonderin if it econimical for a daily driver, i mean, is it worth it? Specifically i was lookin at there Stage 1 Diesel Boost cooler (http://www.snowperformance.net/stage-1-diesel-boost-cooler.html) and was wondering if it would a) be worth it for a daily driver and b) would it work? Oh, and does anyone run a water-**** inj kit on there idi?

a.) Yes (especially if you run exotic fuel cocktails
b.) Yes it works very well. I have the very kit you referenced
c.) Yes

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
^ What he said. There is some concern about the added power from the methanol and old headgaskets. I was planning on running straight water (temperature permitting) so i still get the cooling and cleaning benefits, but dont have to worry about my gaskets as much.

If you build your own, be sure to test it thoroughly outside of the engine before you install it... a leaky nozzle could mean disaster for your engine....

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
been waiting to install my water/**** for towing the grade to the desert with the sleeper and sand rail it harms old head gaskets??????

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
A couple of things-
You can build your own system with all new parts for about $120.00. Non-turbo'd idi's stand to to gain just as much, if not more benefit from a water/alcohol mist system as turbo'd engines, especially from the standpoint of keeping EGT's in the sane range. As WMO Guy already mentioned, they are great if you're running home brew- steam cleaning injector tips and glow plugs can not be over-appreciated. From a power-adder standpoint, yes, you will see a bigger gain if you're running a turbo, but there is a small mileage and power gain even without a turbo. Yes, your dynamic compression is raised when water flashes to steam, but it is within the stock-build abilities of your engine to handle it. As for the alcohol burning- I have done some research on this recently and the general consensus is that you add alcohol to the water to make the water evaporate and cool faster, not as a fuel additive. THAT BEING SAID- there is a fuel out there in the land known as ED95 and it is 95% alcohol and 5% gasoline. ED stands for ethanol-diesel. Personaly I never go over 25-30% alcohol in my spray rig and have had zero problems, however I do not doubt that when you start approaching the upper end of the mix ratio, bad juju can be expected.

As the Buddha says- "Moderation in all things...";Really

dsltech83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A couple of things-
You can build your own system with all new parts for about $120.00. Non-turbo'd idi's stand to to gain just as much, if not more benefit from a water/alcohol mist system as turbo'd engines, especially from the standpoint of keeping EGT's in the sane range. As WMO Guy already mentioned, they are great if you're running home brew- steam cleaning injector tips and glow plugs can not be over-appreciated. From a power-adder standpoint, yes, you will see a bigger gain if you're running a turbo, but there is a small mileage and power gain even without a turbo. Yes, your dynamic compression is raised when water flashes to steam, but it is within the stock-build abilities of your engine to handle it. As for the alcohol burning- I have done some research on this recently and the general consensus is that you add alcohol to the water to make the water evaporate and cool faster, not as a fuel additive. THAT BEING SAID- [B]there is a fuel out there in the land known as ED95 and it is 95% alcohol and 5% gasoline.[/B] ED stands for ethanol-diesel. Personaly I never go over 25-30% alcohol in my spray rig and have had zero problems, however I do not doubt that when you start approaching the upper end of the mix ratio, bad juju can be expected.

As the Buddha says- "Moderation in all things...";Really

That sounds like a bad idea in a diesel........

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For internal cleaning (water injection & all) has anyone ever taken a "otoscope" looked in the cylinder before said cleaning, then after a certain amount of time & cleaning look again.
My thinking is how do you know if the water injection is working, in the cleaning area.

wmoguy

Reaction score
For internal cleaning (water injection & all) has anyone ever taken a "otoscope" looked in the cylinder before said cleaning, then after a certain amount of time & cleaning look again.
My thinking is how do you know if the water injection is working, in the cleaning area.

well what I can attest to, is that when the heads were off my 240k mile IDI, and we did a lil looking around in things, the diesel mechanic (who's been in biz for like 35 years) was in total awe at how clean my engine was. He was more shocked when I told him I'd been running WMO fuel in it non-stop for 6 months before we got to this stage. At that time, the injectors in the pickup were the original injectors when new, and they were clean as a whistle. I am still kicking myself in the rear for not taking pics of everything while it was torn down. Internally it was very clean. I did have a small amount of sludge built up in the valve covers. AutoRX swiftly dealt with that, (which obviously Water **** couldn't deal with that issue)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online