Wastegate

kblackav8or

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know about other states but Oregon the weight limit is based on the number of axles. My brother loads out trucks to over 100k all the time. We are researching a 4 axle tractor (probably a T-800) and a 4 axle 53' trailer to do this ourselves in the future.

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
I tridrive tractor is becoming more popular more with the logging trucks because you have 3 driving axles great for offroad plus you can carry more weight on the tractor. In Alberta tridrive trucks are really becoming more common in the oil fields. The only problem with tridrives is they don't steer that well when you think about it you have 12 drive tires scuffing on the pavement I know the trucks go through tires really quick.

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
kblackav8or said:
I don't know about other states but Oregon the weight limit is based on the number of axles. My brother loads out trucks to over 100k all the time. We are researching a 4 axle tractor (probably a T-800) and a 4 axle 53' trailer to do this ourselves in the future.

Federal DOT weight in the US is 80,000 is it not? Reguardless of number of axles.

Brickman

Reaction score
RKOCH said:
Federal DOT weight in the US is 80,000 is it not? Reguardless of number of axles.

Not at all. That is the "standard" weight. Add axles, pay hundreds of dollars in permits you can move any thing you want to.
Or pay for it in your registration, and haul more. In WY you can license for 85,500 on all roads. In CO you can haul 85,000 on secondary roads without any permit or license. In MI you can haul 160K with 8 trailer axles and a standard 3 axle tractor.
The reason you'll see the heavy movers with lots of axles and stinger axle combos is to break the weight up for the "bridge weight limit laws".

OR, ID, MT, UT, WY, WA among others have ways to haul more weight with the same rig.

Brickman

Reaction score
On a standard rig, I'm sure. But I've seen oversized rigs move thru VA. All the states will allow you to move over dimensional freight. As long as you pay the price.

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
Nope I have checked state law has no provision for anything over 80,000 at all. Over dementional yes over weight yes and no, you can get permits but 80,000 is the cut off on weight unless you have a " State of Emergency Permit " Then you can haul as much as you can hold.

Last edited:

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
Not saying people don't but it is not leagal. Va has spent alot of money on new weigh stations in areas people used just to cut through and get around the main weight stations.

Last edited:

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
Unless your roads are built on mush a 80,000lb gross isn't that heavy the low bedders haul equipment heavier than that. Like I said our legal gross is 140,000lb if you need to haul more weight then there are permits and more axles.

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
Your missing the point welcome to the commonwealth of Virginia.. Most truckers passing thru call it the commi state for reasons like that. Now eastern Va here the roads were built on mush as it is or was low lying coastal swamp land and marsh. Sink holes and stuff like that are very common because of that.

I asked the DOT about loads over 80,000 and they said........" Anything over 80,000 is too much damn weight to put into motion if you hit a car it is over for them. That rulr is for the safety of those on the Hwys of the Commonweath. You will just need to haul more loads. Unless a state of emergency has been decleared by the Governor and you have a SOE permit 80,000 is all the law allows in VA. at anytime period reguardless if the truck is rated for more. We feel there is just too much chance of injury or death when you move that much weight. Yes people tell me all the time that they have to bypass Va because of the weight they are hauling because we allow only 80,000. our position is if you must haul that kind of weight it is best done in some other state. The only exception is special equipment for special jobs cranes and such that are only moved short distances not on interstate HWYs" That is what the DOT man told me.

Last edited:

bagged89

Reaction score
I asked my dad today and he said that our legal gross in Ontario is 140000 lbs he said michigans is even more then ours