Want to replace cruise control servo?

paintedreams

Reaction score
I checked with the local ford stealership and they sail only 93 and 94 will work thanks for the offer.

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
I still think other vehicles '93 and newer might work. F-150s, Broncos, Crown Vics, etc. might have the same servo. Look on FordPartsOnline.Com to see what they have or can find out. Unless the stealership ran the part number and only those years with the IDI and electronic cruise will work. The PSDs went with a computer controlled cruise in the PCM, I think.

paintedreams

Reaction score
Just wanted to let everyone know that I fixed my servo problem I was able to take a cruise control from a 96 Ford Contour and then swap out the electronic box from my truck to the other one and it works like a champ. I picked up one from the junkyard for ten dollars. Thanks for all the help!

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Fords of similar eras use the same box, but they have different calibrations as to hard to yank on the throttle cable. For instance on a Mustang, the 2.3L unit will pull a lot harder on the throttle than a 5.0L unit.

jauguston

Retired
Reaction score
While we are on the cruise control subject mine sags bad when it gets to a hill. I have lubed the cable and have 22" of vacuum but it won't pull the throttle open quick enough. Acts like it doesn't have enough power to pull the throttle. If I help it with my foot it will hold when I let my foot pressure off. Any ideas??

Jim

Mont91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Week vacum pump??? Hole in line????? Hole in servo diafram???? Spell check please.I would do the vacum pump test in the tech articles.

Mont91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How about an eye check with the spell check. And I am assuming yoiu did a volume test as well as a max vacum test. What I have done in the past was hook up the vacum gauge inline to the servo at the servo and go for a drive. If the vacum is good then I would say the servo has a pinhole some where that does not let it build vacime rapidly.

jauguston

Retired
Reaction score
Mont,

You have mentioned spell check twice. What are you getting at? The only spelling problem I see is you are spelling vacuum incorrectly but in this kind of a forum I have never consider spelling something to get **** about(-: What is "yoiu"??

Jim

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The vacuum cruise stuff is interchangeable with the electronic stuff. I converted my diesel over to the newer stuff with parts off of a 94 when I put it all into the gasser cab, this was well over a year ago, so, I'm no longer if I just swapped the servo, or if I had to swap the controller under the dash too. Instead of swapping to a later master cyl with the built in pressure switch, I installed an inline pressure switch in the rear brake line.

Mont91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fat fingers, uncoordinated and cross-eyed:rotflmao :rotflmao
Actually I was to lazy to pick my finger up going from o to u.:D
diafram is spelled diaphram. Now what yeahoo, yahoo, yaehoo-Knothead decided that ph sounded like F. Must be time to |sleepy . See y'all later.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While we are on the cruise control subject mine sags bad when it gets to a hill. I have lubed the cable and have 22" of vacuum but it won't pull the throttle open quick enough. Acts like it doesn't have enough power to pull the throttle. If I help it with my foot it will hold when I let my foot pressure off. Any ideas??
FWIW, I had the same problem with my CC setup (should be basically the same as yours, since my truck's an '84). It started slowly and steadily getting worse, over a period of a couple of years. Eventually, I had to keep slight pressure on the pedal at all times, but the cruise still alleviated the pressure a little bit. Then, it failed altogether. When it failed, it felt like something had physically broken...but the cable was okay.

Replaced the servo and all's well :) I never tried to disassemble the servo, but I don't think it's user-serviceable...I would guess that the diaphragm in my servo was on its way out and then completely failed, but again, that's just an EWAG...

jauguston

Retired
Reaction score
Are there any adjustments that can be made to the cruise system at all? Another thing mine does is when I push the set-accelerate button when the cruise is set in a attempt to raise the set speed it instead goes to a slower set speed. On the cruise on our cars (near new Dodge Van and PT Cruiser pushing the set-accelerate button results in a new faster set speed.

When you say "Replace the servo' what part exactly are you speaking of. Do you mean just the diaphram part or it and all the electrical stuff that goes with it.

Jim