want to install a powerstroke alternator on my idi ???????????'s

cheap bronco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach
hello everyone, I need to install a alternator from a powerstroke 02 on my 93 idi, i already did the external regulator delete and would like to know about the wiring. MY powerstroke alt. has two wires on the plug and the 93 alt. has 3, the powerstroke alt. has green and red (simple to hook up) but it also has a orange and blue. Now my 93 alt has 3 wires green and red (simple to hook up) yellow with white to the charging post and white with black to the regulator, since on my powerstroke I dont have a third how would I connect it. The reason I need to change is I dont have money for a new 93 alt. and have a new spare powerstroke alt. Thanks in advance. sorry everyone i messed up on the pic inserts

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I'm no expert but I think the green is the dash gauge wire and the red is the field wire. Of course the heavy wire is the battery charge wire. Not sure if the psd has a dash lite that tells you there is no charge going on. If I recall correctly one of these wires, it might be the red wire goes thru the ignition switch for power. The system needs to break the field power when the engine stops running or the battery will drain thru the still energised field in the alternater. If a battery dies just feel the alternater. If it hot then you found where the battery is drained thru. Now determining if the regulater or field diod bridge has failed in the closed position.

cheap bronco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i looked at that link, but still confused what to do with powerstroke alt. with 2 wires, do i connect the org/blu to the charging post?

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cb,
That top picture you gave is a 3g alternator. That is your current alternator so I am not surprised the article is confusing.
Go here
http://oldfuelinjection.com/?p=63
Scroll down to the 6g section and see if that is your alternator. If it is, look at the first diagram, hook the ignition wire in your current wiring to the I post on your alternator and you should be on your way.

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wanted to add. Ignore colors beyond using them to try to find what may be the wire you are looking for. Your alternator has what appears to be a red wire coming off the A terminal. The color isn't important. Knowing the A terminal reads battery voltage tells you it should be ran to battery power like your current yellow wire sort of is. Knowing the I terminal is the ignition off on terminal tells us where that wire goes to.

You didn't show us a picture of your orange blue wire on the ps alternator. We also don't know how you got to where you are with your "external regulator delete." So using wire colors as the only identifier probably isn't a good idea. For all we know, you could have had a 2g on there before

cheap bronco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
many thanks dgr, your link set me straight, the powerstroke alt. is a 4g. now i got it. all i need to do is connect the GRN/RED to the GRN/RED wire on the harness and the ORG/BLU on the charging post. See thats why i ask the pro's.

Merry Christmas

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
See.. Even I learned something from this original posting.. Now I wonder what gets deleted in my memory so this new information can get in... Where am I???:eek: I thought this was a **** site.... The hell you say.... Kinda funny... For many years the good wifey has been calling this forum the Ford **** Site that I love to read so much.....:eek: To that I tell her.... THANKYOU DEAR.....TeeHEE....:sly:D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zemmeron

Members online